Suitable defence for average club player against 1. d4?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Suitable defence for average club player against 1. d4?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:06 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: If not too risky against a recently deposed World Champ then surely not too risky for club chessers.
The risk in a Dutch may not be so much the main lines, but the numerous sidelines, almost all of which are somewhere between playable and good and in some cases lead to bizarre positions. To avoid these, some players who use the French will meet 1. d4 with 1. .. e6 which cuts down the number of side variations they need to know. If Leningrad players are also prepared to play the Modern, they can start with 1. .. d6 or 1. .. g6.
I was marginally tricked recently in a game that started 1. Nf3 g6 2. g3 Bg7 3. d4 d6 4. Bg2 f5. I don't particularly mind facing the Leningrad but I had expected a Kings Indian.

We've also seen Magnus playing the .. a6 Modern although why he thought sacrificing against White's h3, g4 plan has yet to be revealed.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Try the Sniper. Charlie Storey recommends it!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:Try the Sniper. Charlie Storey recommends it!
I don’t necessarily disagree with the opening idea, although I find it hard to accept the second sentence is sufficient justification for the first.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Barry Sandercock wrote:Try the Sniper. Charlie Storey recommends it!
I don’t necessarily disagree with the opening idea, although I find it hard to accept the second sentence is sufficient justification for the first.
Google Jonathan Mahony vs Charlie Storey and check out the Sniper Queen fork on YouTube :twisted:

.... Okay it was a simul :roll: :lol:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker