Draw by repetition

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Ian Thompson

Re: Draw by repetition

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Andrew Collins wrote:I had a rather amusing draw by three fold in Gibraltar, I had to call the arbiter, and the player in question still repeatedly insisted it was not a draw, despite the fact the arbiter had agreed the claim and the game was over.
Is the game over if the player has made the claim and the arbiter has incorrectly accepted it (and the opponent continues to dispute it)? I've had that happen to me once.
Graham Borrowdale wrote:Don't know about that one. I guess there might be a possibility to appeal in some competitions, and you might start by not signing the scoresheet.
My game was resolved because it was being played on a DGT set connected to a computer (and then to the Internet). My opponent said the computer would confirm there had been a 3-fold repetition, so he went to look. He came back to report that the computer was not reporting a 3-fold repetition, so both he and the arbiter accepted that the claim must have been wrong.

Andrew Collins

Post by Andrew Collins » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 pm

mine was a draw, although it was no bother, I could have happily played on, although I think my opponent would have tried to play all night until I made a fatal mistake :D

as to why he didn't agree it was a draw, good question, he didn't attempt to dispute the position had been repeated 3 times, he just simply kept saying 'it is not a draw, we must play on! oh yes and acted like no such rule existed

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:19 pm

I was playing a much stronger opponent the other night, 35 grading points higher than me, and he claimed a three fold repetition, on my move, where I had two rooks to his rook and bishop. The position had only been repeated twice, but in truth I was about to bottle out of exchanging one rook for a bishop and pawn and go for the win in case I messed up the quick play finish.

It did annoy me for the rest of the evening though as I had said it wasn't three fold repetition, and I knew from this thread that it had been claimed at the wrong time, and all the disruptive discussion about it happened whilst my clock was ticking!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Dewi Jones wrote:The position had only been repeated twice, but in truth I was about to bottle out of exchanging one rook for a bishop and pawn and go for the win in case I messed up the quick play finish.
Even a false claim is treated as a draw offer, so if you were considering bailing out for a draw, he did it for you. I will sometimes offer a draw at the second repetition. That's so that if my opponent also wished to draw, we can agree it there and then, without having to recall one of the correct processes for making a claim.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Of course, you were also entitled to stop the clocks during the dispute - but maybe you knew that and simply were lulled into the dispute! And of course if your opponent didn't how how to claim properly he might also have kicked up about the clock and then you'd have had two disputes!