Popularity of various openings

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
MJMcCready

Re: Popularity of various openings

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:41 pm

I don't think many if any under 2000 bother preparing.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:52 pm

MJMcCready wrote:I don't think many if any under 2000 bother preparing.
That could be why they are under 2000 !

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:25 pm

The problem is getting your opponent's games.
My own club has a super efficient archivist who pounces on all our games as they finish. The consequence is that we can all prepare for club games and often for local league games (though I don't think many do). I don't do a lot - maybe 20-30 minutes - and often of course it goes out of the window after two moves, but I certainly remember a specific game where I departed from my opponent's favourite line at about move 9 and he never recovered. I am way below 2000.

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 pm

I'm also way under 2000, and I will generally have a quick look at what my opponent plays before the game, but I'm not sure this counts as 'preparation'!

Incidentally, regarding lack of games available, my opponents are in the enviable position of having over 50 of my games available on the Chessbase online database!!

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:30 pm

MJMcCready wrote:At sub 2000 level 1 d4 tells you that your opponent probably isn't a tactician.
Maybe that can be said about those who play 1.c4 or 1.Nf3. The problem with 1.d4 is you can get drawn into maelstroms like the Benko Gambit, the Benoni, the King's Indian, the Grunfeld, and the Dutch. 1.d4 doesn't always result in some quiet line of the QGD.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:19 pm

MJMcCready wrote:Never heard of it.
The Sniper is relatively rare in itself, though there are a few players that play it with some regular occurrence. It is quite potent if White does not know what to reply against it, particularly if the opponent is at least a strong club player.
MJMcCready wrote:At sub 2000 level 1 d4 tells you that your opponent probably isn't a tactician.
That is quite a damning statement. I have had (percentage-wise) far more interesting games with 1. d4 in terms of tactics than 1. e4. 1.d4 is more interesting than you think.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Lewis Martin wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:Never heard of it.
The Sniper is relatively rare in itself, though there are a few players that play it with some regular occurrence. It is quite potent if White does not know what to reply against it, particularly if the opponent is at least a strong club player.
That is quite a damning statement. I have had (percentage-wise) far more interesting games with 1. d4 in terms of tactics than 1. e4. 1.d4 is more interesting than you think.
It's only a generalization. Some of the sharpest opening lines are from 1 d4 I think. Even 1 f4 and 1 g4 has some sharp stuff, probably only 1 b3 and 1 b4 are truly quiet first moves. I say that because 1nf3 can transpose into sharp stuff.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:46 pm

MJMcCready wrote:probably only 1 b3 and 1 b4 are truly quiet first moves.
First moves perhaps, but they can transpose. It's playing style really. Premature aggression doesn't always work, whilst co-ordinating pieces and pawn structure is always a plan if possible. If you have White you try to maintain a small advantage, whilst with Black you try to neutralise, equalise or counter attack.

There was a player I met a number of times in the 1980s who was extremely solid, drawish in other words, but who could beat you if you over-reached. The only time I beat him at all and without much trouble was when I punted 1. b3. The game took on the contours of a double Dutch because he played .. f5, which I met with f4 and a reverse Leningrad style g3. I won by nicking a pawn and consolidating.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:26 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:probably only 1 b3 and 1 b4 are truly quiet first moves.
1 b3 often leads to the Nimzowitsch–Larsen Attack, which is certainly not quiet.... black often has to endure a ferocious kingside attack, especially if white plays the pawn to f4 before he goes Nf3

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
That could be why they are under 2000 !
Just noticed this. Really Roger?

There are far more important things to improve on than preparation, and it certainly isn't why players under 2000 as rated as such.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 am

Lewis Martin wrote: There are far more important things to improve on than preparation, and it certainly isn't why players under 2000 as rated as such.
You see numerous club players fall into the same bad positions time and time again, or at best spend half their time on positions that more knowledgeable players could reach in ten minutes. If they worked on their chess it wouldn't be preparation for a specific opponent but just having more knowledge.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:43 am

Or who just get stuck with very one sided styles, which has to limit their strength a little bit.

Being able to get ~10 plausible moves and knowing roughly what to do is of course a particular advantage for quicker time limit games like more evening leagues.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Lewis Martin wrote: There are far more important things to improve on than preparation, and it certainly isn't why players under 2000 as rated as such.
You see numerous club players fall into the same bad positions time and time again, or at best spend half their time on positions that more knowledgeable players could reach in ten minutes. If they worked on their chess it wouldn't be preparation for a specific opponent but just having more knowledge.
All preparation means is to look at what your opponent plays and nothing at all to do with your own play/repertoire/knowledge which you work on for yourself. I always think it is a waste of time to do preparation for an opponent seriously.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Lewis Martin wrote: I always think it is a waste of time to do preparation for an opponent seriously.
Your definition of preparation, not mine.

I like to have a general idea of my opponent's style of play and whether they have any specialities where I might need to recap my approach or totally avoid. If I can pinch ideas from recent GM games, so much the better.

Difficulties for players towards the middle of the grading distribution adopting this would be the relative paucity of games recorded for the potential opponent and a general unevenness in their own knowledge and playing style.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 pm

I have a feeling James Byrne and Theo Slade prepared for me today. I mean, since when does Theo play 1...e5 as black?