Hack the experts way

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Roger de Coverly

Hack the experts way

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 am

The other title was "Illogical Chess move by move".

It's an example of what can be made to work if you can retain the initiative. So if you like there's the "pass" against the Sicilian with 2. Na3. But Black tries 2. .. g6, so you "have a go" with 3. h4. After 4. .. Nc6, you play "normally" with Bb5.

This is the game by Hungarian GM Rapport from the German League. Reminiscent to my mind of what Julian Hodgson would play.

MJMcCready

Re: Hack the experts way

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:29 am

Yes I saw that game also, although 2 Na3 isn't the worst move as in many closed Sicilians the knight is misplaced on c3... but with that said I wouldn't play it. Rapport is an inspiration to us all. At least he gets his opponents thinking from the very beginning of the game. It must be difficult to prepare against him.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Rapport is a great riposte to the "chess is played out" brigade 8)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Indeed.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:33 am

An early example of 2.Na3 from the 1968 NABC championship:

That's quite enough of that, certainly. Black (me) won in another 40-odd.

The main purpose of showing this rather dreadful game is to demonstrate how an early ... d6 could be a wise preliminary to ... Nc6, which can otherwise result in the Black P-structure being messed up after White's Bb5, as in the game posted above. (I'd been alerted to this possibility through reading a series of articles in Chess some months before about another anti-Sicilian set-up featuring the moves 2.f4 and 3.Bb5 by White against Black's premature 2. ... Nc6.)
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The other title was "Illogical Chess move by move"....
There's certainly need for a book with such a title. The games should exemplify concrete counter-intuitive analysis at the expense of mindless logical principles, which tend to dull intelligence and act as ineffective crutches to playing the game.

Francis Fields

Post by Francis Fields » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Shouldn't he play 3. ...h5 instead of Bg7?