The Sicilian Defence in 1897

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
John Upham

The Sicilian Defence in 1897

Post by John Upham » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:44 pm

During a recent visit to Southsea I purchased for £1 "Chess Openings" by James Mason.

Page 88 contains as assessment of the then worthiness of the Sicilian Defence :
Fairly tried and found wanting, the Sicilian has now scarcely any standing as a first-class defence. In this respect its fate much resembles that of the Philidor; though, of the two, the advantage is greatly with the latter. The Sicilian is too defensive. There are too many holes created in the Pawn line. Command of the field, especially in the centre, it too readily given over to the invading force.
Has anything changed since this assessment? :lol:
Last edited by John Upham on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Saunders

Re: The Sicillian Defence in 1897

Post by John Saunders » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:00 am

No, the assessment remains exactly the same as in 1897 - it's completely unsound. But the spelling has been changed. Just the one 'l' these days... [n.b. since I made this comment, I note that the original poster has amended the thread's spelling from 'Sicillian' to 'Sicilian'...]
Last edited by John Saunders on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

James Pratt

Re: The Sicilian Defence in 1897

Post by James Pratt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:05 pm

uninterestingly enough, the spelling of Giuoco Piano has changed too, according to an Italian chessplayer I used to know. Not sure how ..