Summer "Openings" School

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Andrew Wainwright

Summer "Openings" School

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi All

I run a team in the Bradford & District Chess Association (Idle Chess Club, playing from Idle Working Mens Club - No Joke!) and our club is hosting a summer event over 5 weeks entitled "You dont have to be Idle!" the intention being to keep people playing during our close season as the league ends for the summer in May and doesnt start agin until September.

The theme of the event is based around 5 different "groups" of openings, one opening to be studied on each of the nights. I have been tasked with running the night focusing on the Sicilian Defence (specifically looking at "open Sicilian" lines). Any advice on lines, games where these have been used and sources of free and readily available online info. on these lines would be much appreciated. The wilder the better!

Look forward to receiving your thoughts.

Andy :D

Roger de Coverly

Re: Summer "Openings" School

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Any advice on lines, games where these have been used and sources of free and readily available online info. on these lines would be much appreciated.
You could look at the articles on www.chesspublishing.com and browse the related forum at www.chesspub.com

If you want a topic that's been debated for the last fifty or more years without really coming to an answer, you could try the question "Is the Dragon Sicilian sound?" RJF suggested the plan "open the h-file, sac,sac,mate". However nowadays Carlsen is making it work even with seemingly passive moves like a6 and Re8.

TomChivers

Re: Summer "Openings" School

Post by TomChivers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Andrew Wainwright wrote:Hi All

I run a team in the Bradford & District Chess Association (Idle Chess Club, playing from Idle Working Mens Club - No Joke!) and our club is hosting a summer event over 5 weeks entitled "You dont have to be Idle!" the intention being to keep people playing during our close season as the league ends for the summer in May and doesnt start agin until September.

The theme of the event is based around 5 different "groups" of openings, one opening to be studied on each of the nights. I have been tasked with running the night focusing on the Sicilian Defence (specifically looking at "open Sicilian" lines). Any advice on lines, games where these have been used and sources of free and readily available online info. on these lines would be much appreciated. The wilder the better!

Look forward to receiving your thoughts.

Andy :D
You might dig out a collection from this lot:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/collecti ... n+sicilian

. . . maybe.

If you were willing to spend the money, Kasparov's Najdorf DVDs might be appropriate too (you might also find some snippets on youtube.)