1 d4 d6 2 Nf3 Bg4

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Jon Mahony

Re: 1 d4 d6 2 Nf3 Bg4

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Ben Purton wrote:????? thats laughable. Ive played this opening literally my whole chess "career", Mcshane plays a4, as do around 40-50% of my games V titles on the icc. I must play around 3-4 games in czech system a day on average on there.

a4 hasnt been heard of? is a shocking statement, its played alot more often than h3 at a proper level.
Proper Level? I Think Top Level is the phrase you're searching for :wink: Rant a bit less, maybe you're English will improve. I didn't say a4 hasn't been heard of, I simply said I'd never come across it in my own games, I'll look into it at some point, but as I'm not interested in playing the Czech anymore it's of no real concern to me. It isn't however, mentioned at all in that Andrew Martin DVD so you've rather contradicted you're original argument that it goes into all the sub-lines :roll:

Anyway I've been warned in PM by a couple of members that it's not possible to have a rational discussion with you, and you're known for this type of childish behaviour - so as I'm a newbie here I think I'll heed their advice and cease this discussion with you now. Thanks.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:I simply said I'd never come across it in my own games
Could you share with us where you actually play? There's no one of your posting name in the ECF grading list, the FIDE list or even the Yorkshire one.

Ben is known to be a 175-180 standard player who is claiming to have improved to about 200 level. As the c6,d6,Nf6 stuff is one of his pet systems, it's useful to know what he considers one of the more difficult lines to meet. 4 a4 is the third most popular in my database after f4 and Nf3 and scores better than Nf3 if not as well as f4. If you have 4NCL games in your database there's even one of my games in there from eight years ago.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Jonathan Mahony
Standardplay grade :
YCA Grading Code : 2635
ECF Grading Code : 276212C

Games Club
45 Leeds
25 No club

Standardplay
2635 2007 2008 2009
Games 0 0 0
Points 0 0 0
Grade
Any postings on here represent my personal views

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Feel I have to stand up for my mate Ben Purton here. Before you criticise his English grammar I suppose you understand he has some kind of mild dyslexia and does his best. Perfect spelling and grammar may be nice but not a pre-requisite to be able to contribute to a forum. I understand that some people may find him annoying for whatever reason but he is a strong young player with the best interests of the game at heart.

I for one would be more entertained by a Ben Purton rant than pages of chess politics anyway !

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:Anyway I've been warned in PM by a couple of members that it's not possible to have a rational discussion with you, and you're known for this type of childish behaviour - so as I'm a newbie here I think I'll heed their advice and cease this discussion with you now. Thanks.
For once Ben seemed quite right - his "rants" are quite good if he sticks to the point...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:50 pm

James Coleman wrote:I for one would be more entertained by a Ben Purton rant than pages of chess politics anyway !
Ben can wander off the point a little but as long as he keeps to the point there is no issue

I am concerned however about other "members" spreading comments - if there is an issue then please PM me and I will deal with it

Everyone has the same voice here :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:02 am

How have I been childish here? I know the my Jansa Pirc better than any oher opening, I've played loads of games OTB, from playing GM's to 100 grades. a4 should be considered by all, technically if you want to learn alot of theory for white then mainline is almost a forced clear edge, but from a black prospective, a4 is a solid move which you don't like to see because its hard to force the issue. alot of the queenside play is void.

Be3 =
Nf3 =
f4 +=
a4 +=

The best mainline is Nxc3 after 0-0, you can usually storm through the f file as white. alot of times Ive ended up castling queenside.

I don't mind you slagging off my english, its bad. But I know my pirc.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:03 am

In fact you could argue Nf3 is edge for Black, thats my view. White has to play nb1 move , which looks so unnatural. So most plays when they play Nf3 give up the edge.
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:29 am

Ben,

In what I consider to be the 4. f4 main line I used to find 9. De1 a strong improvement for White over the theory move of 9. h3 I'd be interested if you have met 9. De1 as follows :

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 c6 4. f4 Qa5 5. Bd3 e5 6. Nf3 Bg4 7. Be3 Nbd7 8. O-O
Be7 9. Qe1 Bxf3

I've never really found a way of equalising against this 9. De1 idea.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:31 am

Mainline is the e5 stuff.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:44 am

Ben Purton wrote:Mainline is the e5 stuff.
I think what Ben is suggesting is the unusual tactical idea after 1 e4 d6 2 d4 Nf6 3 Nc3 c6 4 f4 Qa5 5 e5 Ne4 6 Bd3 Nxc3 7 Qd2 and the jury is out as to what is Black's best next move. Ben may know - if so follow his games!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:00 am

James Coleman wrote:Feel I have to stand up for my mate Ben Purton here. Before you criticise his English grammar I suppose you understand he has some kind of mild dyslexia and does his best. Perfect spelling and grammar may be nice but not a pre-requisite to be able to contribute to a forum. I understand that some people may find him annoying for whatever reason but he is a strong young player with the best interests of the game at heart.

I for one would be more entertained by a Ben Purton rant than pages of chess politics anyway !
I never made any pretence as to my grade (and I don’t see how it’s relivent here) This is actually my first season of competitive play OTB after a few years playing CC - I’ve only played around 60-odd rated games and I’m estimated to come out as a lowley 75 come the next grading, which is fine by me :) I'm only young (ish) myself after all!

I simply expressed an oppinion about a DVD when all is said and done! I didn’t know Ben suffered from dyslexia so I apologise for my comment about grammer – but at the end of the day dyslexia makes you poor at spelling – it doesn’t make you rude and arrogent :) And I really don’t see why several of you had to pounce on me and track me on the internet quite frankley... :shock:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:40 am

Jon Mahony wrote:And I really don’t see why several of you had to pounce on me and track me on the internet quite frankley... :shock:
I don't understand the "track" on the internet comment, can you explain since it is early?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:26 pm

I know I've been rude and arrogant on the forum, but not in this thread, perhaps arrogant to the extent of I do believe I know more than the average player on the czech system, mainly because its my pet system.

The best lines are the ones which follow the Emms "game" but dont take on e4(obviously), Nge2 stuff......

e4 d6
d4 Nf6
Nc3 c6
f4 Qa5
e5 Ne4
Qf3 d5
Bd3 Na6?!..............................See Emms-Hodgson if you dont have the video!
Nge2

Here is where concensus varies on viewing the most effective(not always best by rybka) move.

Nxc3 bxc3 Is the line which i feel is truly best for white. Black can still play g6.... But there are reasons why its not best.

The Line John Upham suggests, there is nothing in my view wrong with Black

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Ben,

After 8. Nge2 Nb4 isn't Black doing OK? or is something nasty afoot along the f-file? :wink:

I will post a correspondence game (that I lost) with the 9. Qe1 line I mentioned previously. I was more worried by this than the position after 8..Nb4 but I'm not currently playing this OTB.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D