Caro-Kann

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Francis Fields

Caro-Kann

Post by Francis Fields » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:23 am

I have been thinking about taking up the 2 Knights variation against the Caro-Kann as you get a blocked centre just like the French. This could be a way of reducing the amount of understanding needed and avoiding that h pawn line variation.

Andrew Bak

Re: Caro-Kann

Post by Andrew Bak » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:25 am

Can you post the moves of the variation you're talking about?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:29 am

2 Nc3/3 Nf3 from white traditionally. Then stuff like Bg4 x f3, h3/d3 from white etc.

Obvious way to get a very French like pawn structures is of course 3 e5 although I wouldn't say those positions don't need understanding! I find them genuinely very hard to get a handle on at times, which is presumably why its getting on for the main line nowadays.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Francis,

If you mean something like the following -

Black can avoid it by exchanging pawns early on E4.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:59 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:2 Nc3/3 Nf3 from white traditionally. Then stuff like Bg4 x f3, h3/d3 from white etc.

Obvious way to get a very French like pawn structures is of course 3 e5 although I wouldn't say those positions don't need understanding! I find them genuinely very hard to get a handle on at times, which is presumably why its getting on for the main line nowadays.
It is French like, but Black's Bishop is out of the chain now, which is to Black's benefit.
When the center is blocked, 1 or tempi are not as meaningful as the good placement of the pieces.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:27 am

What about when the centre isn't blocked?

[I knew a player who always called it the "Cairo Khan".]

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:34 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: It is French like, but Black's Bishop is out of the chain now, which is to Black's benefit.
Arguably the insight of Nigel Short was that the Bishop could be misplaced on f5 as in contrast to the French, it fails to defend the White squares on the queen side. A very early game in the development of the system against Seirawan demonstrates this.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:21 am

Is this the game that you meant Roger?

Nigel Short vs Yasser Seirawan

Manila Interzonal (1990) - Caro-Kann Defense: Advance Variation (B12) 1-0