I wanna become a GM

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
soheil_hooshdaran

I wanna become a GM

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi
What should I do to become a GM?

Thanks in advance

IM Jack Rudd

Re: I wanna become a GM

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:13 pm

You're 31 or 32 with a rating of 1824. It's a tall order.

My advice would be: play in lots of tournaments of the required level. It'll probably end up improving your play significantly, even if you don't manage to make it to GM.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:37 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hi

Thanks in advance
Contact the Federations that turn a blind eye to bogus tournaments and get yourself invited.

Not sure what they charge these days.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:57 pm

John Upham wrote:

Thanks in advance
Contact the Federations that turn a blind eye to bogus tournaments and get yourself invited.

Not sure what they charge these days.
Yes, setting a high goal can be useful at times.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Get a lot better at chess than you are now?

Easy to say, not so straightforward to do.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 pm

Play on FIDE Arena. You only need to maintain a rating of 2000 for the Arena GM title. That might be achievable from your current FIDE rating. You can then truthfully tell everyone you're a chess Grandmaster; just don't mention the Arena bit.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks in advance
My friend became a grandmaster strength online player (beat Nakamura in blitz, regularly beats GMs in classical) and beat loek van wely who is a super grandmaster over the board(!) He is currently an FM but will definitely be an international master. Ill pm you his details and he ll verify its true. He d be better placed to advise you than me. He does charge for tuition but if you tell him you know me he ll offer you free advice

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:My friend became a grandmaster strength online player (beat Nakamura in blitz, regularly beats GMs in classical) and beat loek van wely who is a super grandmaster over the board(!) He is currently an FM but will definitely be an international master.
He'll have to reverse the current decline in his FIDE rating if he's going to do that. He's now down to 2239, just over 100 points below his peak rating from almost 3 years ago.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Get a lot better at chess than you are now?

Easy to say, not so straightforward to do.
I am a 1800 player but I've beaten several strong players. Take a look at this game:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote:My friend became a grandmaster strength online player (beat Nakamura in blitz, regularly beats GMs in classical) and beat loek van wely who is a super grandmaster over the board(!) He is currently an FM but will definitely be an international master.
He'll have to reverse the current decline in his FIDE rating if he's going to do that. He's now down to 2239, just over 100 points below his peak rating from almost 3 years ago.
Blitz and 3 minutes holds no relevance apart from entertainment value.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote:
Blitz and 3 minutes holds no relevance apart from entertainment value.
watch this space :)

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Take heart, Soheil. We live in post-truth times. Now it is sufficient merely to say something is true, and it shall be so. Objectors can be dismissed by repeating the truth, louder if necessary. Arise, Grandmaster Hooshdaran!

Only last week I decided that I was now Formula 1 World Champion, 2017 Rear of the Year, and runner-up in the biannual Chess Publishing Translators' Awards.
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Personally set realistic goals and take it on step at a time, aim for 2000, then 2200, FM/IM titles, then re-evaluate your position, even getting to IM you are only 20% of the way there

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Alan Walton wrote:Personally set realistic goals and take it on step at a time, aim for 2000, then 2200,
In practice, to reach and retain even 2000, you have to be able to score 3 from 4 against players rated 1800. What is needed to get such results?

It can apply to all the self improvement plans and blogs. To get to a higher level, you have to be able to beat those who currently cause you trouble. Many of us may have done this when we were much younger. You realise that many of your opponents just play complete rubbish, hardly know anything, particularly about openings and endings, or cannot calculate more than a couple of moves ahead.

David Clayton

Post by David Clayton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:27 pm

My grade has been as follows:-

July 2016 - 123
Jan 2016 - 115
Jul 2015 - 109
July 2011 - 97
July 2008 - 78
July 2005 - 57

If my grade trajectory continues, how ling will it be before I become a GM?