Mark Howitt's Chess Coaching

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
Mark Howitt

Mark Howitt's Chess Coaching

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:59 pm

Why I Believe I'm a Good Chess Coach and Why it's worth Paying me with Minimum Wage to Coach You... if you can afford it...

Hi...

So as well as doing financial coaching I now do some chess coaching...

If you're like a GOOD chess player... I am not good enough to coach you, let's state that right away don't want to waste your time...

However if you are just starting and haven't played many/any competitive games yet... I think I'm worth it... here's why...

So when I was 7 my parents took me out of the state eduction system and put me into QEGS, that stands for Queen Elizabeth Grammar school.

I already knew how to play chess then, my dad taught me when I was 4. We would play in a caravan in the south of France... I didn't play much before QEGS but I knew how the pieces moved.

I think the fees at QEGS junior school now are around £11,000 per year in the junior school...

Anyway so when I was 7 I would play at the school chess club a LOT. I didn't have any real proper training but I played a lot. I got in the school teams sometimes, but I wasn't really given a chance.

They did have good players like David Jackson and Gareth Mitchell so it was quite hard to get in the team.

Anyway I didn't go to QEGS senior school, I went to Batley Grammar School, back when it was private. I think my parents paid about £4,500 a year back then... this would have been in 1995 so inflation etc. I know it has gone back into the state sector now, and I don't recommend this school, but back then it had a good chess team. They had gotten into the Semi finals of the national schools championship I think. They had players like Andrew Tennant and Andrew Wager.

So of course I PAID, lol, to join the chess club right away. I was there like most break times. It was only really the under 18 teams they had so I didn't have a chance to play in that team in the first year but I was a reserve.

It was the second year before I actually broke into the team, and I played every competitive match since then. I did things like turn up in my Yorkshire chess jumper at St Bede's to play junior tournaments solo.

So when I was 13 I was told I should join a chess club so I joined Netherton chess club.

I was OK when I was 13... I was very passionate into chess...

Often for the next few years it would be play local league Wednesday, for the school on Friday, then Yorkshire league on the Saturday. I never thought about making money then at all, just playing chess and reading really.

There were certainly many weaknesses in my game up until the age of 16. Remember the grading list only came out once a year back then etc etc. I still hadn't had much proper coaching by 16.

Left BGS at 16 to join Greenhead College... which is a MUCH better educational place. I was playing a LOT now. Like my dad shoved me off to play a junior tournament solo in Hull at 15. Forget getting like an after school job, I was doing my studies and playing chess. Sure I'd already been all over the country playing chess as I broke into the Yorkshire setup at 13 but now I would just try and play everywhere. I read loads of chess books. I played LOADS of league chess.

So I went to Leeds Uni for a year... and they didn't really have a proper chessclub although Peter Shaw was there, studying for his maths PHd. He trained me a LITTLE bit but I wish I had got more training from him. Even by then or soon after I was playing a lot online. I think by this stage back then I would have been about 1900 elo strength, something like that.

I had TURNED DOWN my parents offer to get coached by IM Angus Dunnington... maybe should have taken it even though it was expensive, David Jackson did and he played for England for his age.

I have beaten David Jackson by the way ;)

I bought and read a LOT of chess books.

When I was at Leeds uni I started writing my 'chess novel' 'Playing to Win'. I knew at this stage I wasn't good enough to be a chess pro, but I still wanted to be a writer. I had read lots of John Upike books for example.

So I spent 18 months of my life for 5p an hour writing a chess novel...

That kinda gets you in a chess and writing mode...

Relatively my chess strength peak might have been at the age of about 21... I got up to about a 129 grade before they were inflated... I've beaten players like Greg Eagleton, Richard Allis, James Lawson...

So...

I have spent a LOT of time and money playing and studying chess...

I think I am a good teacher as I've been a student ambassador at uni and done a lot of sales and customer service jobs. My last COMPETITIVE OTB was in December 2008 as I was working for British Gas then... making decent money. For sure a min wage job pays more than chess... but chess is great mental training.

Anyway feel free to contact me if you would like me to coach you for minimum wage at chess! Thanks for reading :)
Last edited by Mark Howitt on Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stephen Westmoreland

Re: Yorkshire Chess

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:13 pm

Just to note that the title of the thread is Yorkshire Chess. I suggest this is changed as Mark is not one of our coaches or endorsed by us.

I also removed a similar post from our Facebook thread.

Carl - Could you do the honours please?
HDCA President

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:31 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:13 pm
Carl - Could you do the honours please?
I'm sure that would be appreciated outside Yorkshire too.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:32 pm

Hmm well Nick since I get views worldwide from my blog I'd say my writing was appreciated worldwide thanks :)

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:33 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:28 pm
Hi,

I haven't even mentioned Holmfirth in the post :)

I never said I was endorsed by you...

It's called Yorkshire Chess because it's about chess in Yorkshire.
Mark, I am the Yorkshire Deputy President.
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:37 pm

Congrats! :)

It's good free promo for Chess in Yorkshire :)

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:15 pm

Just noticed this 'Anyway I didn't go to QEGS senior school, I went to Batley Grammar School, back when it was private. I think my parents paid about £4,000 a year back then... this would have been in 1995 so inflation etc. I know it has gone back into the state sector now, and I don't recommend this school, but back then it had a good chess team. They had gotten into the Semi finals of the national schools championship I think. They had players like Andrew Tennant and Andrew Wager.'

I went to Batley Grammar School too. I was the School Captain and board one in 95-96 when we went out (we got hammered by Hull - please correct I may be wrong there). I got a draw.

I cannot recall picking you or those others. Or on the 94-95 team.

The Hadwen brothers, John Courouble, Alan Coop, John Watson, Johnny Hands and so forth yes.

Correction. You were 12 not 6 form.
Last edited by Stephen Westmoreland on Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:33 pm

Having v surreal convo on fb and yes I remember some of these names too ;)

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Mark Howitt's chess coaching

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:04 pm

Mark's post advertising his coaching services and all subsequent posts in the thread are now in Adverts.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:06 pm

Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:15 pm

I went to Batley Grammar School too. I was the School Captain and board one in 95-96 when we went out (we got hammered by Hull - please correct I may be wrong there). I got a draw.
Stephen,

By any chance have you observed Batley Townswomen's Guild re-enact a famous battle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyORbG3I5Ys

Enjoy!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:09 pm

That is South Yorkshire, not West my friend
HDCA President

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:03 pm

Batley is very much in West Yorkshire?? :?:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:39 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:03 pm
Yup. The clip is about Sheffield. The townswomen of Sheffield
HDCA President

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:27 pm

Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:39 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:03 pm
Yup. The clip is about Sheffield. The townswomen of Sheffield
See

https://montypython.fandom.com/wiki/Bat ... rl_Harbour

for more detail on Batley TWG and their re-enactments.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:56 pm

Lol...

All I can say is it's nice censorship is alive and well...

Surreal world...