Players wanted for next season

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
Michele Clack

Players wanted for next season

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Any chess players living or moving to the midlands, within 15 miles of Redditch, who are interested in playing in the Birmingham League (and/ or Worcester & District League) please get in touch. We are a very friendly and keen club. One of our players has found a really good job and is moving away which leaves us short for Birmingham League Division 2 next year. Players of any standard are always welcome. We also have a team in Division 5 of the BDCL and a team in each division of the Worcs & District league. We have 2 teams entered in the BDCL Quick play this summer as well, with 1st matches next Tuesday. If you haven't already played for a BDCL team this season and are an ECF member looking for a team you could be slotted into a Quick play team to try us out.

Alex Holowczak

Re: Players wanted for next season

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Michele Clack wrote:within 15 miles of Redditch
There's a proposal to get rid of that rule, by the way. :wink:

Dan Lambourne

Post by Dan Lambourne » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Michele Clack wrote:within 15 miles of Redditch
As we need more players, I though I should also mention the full list, as a player can qualify to play if they can prove one of the following:-

The player
a) resides within 20 miles of Stephenson Place, Birmingham;
b) has a usual place of business or employment within 15 miles of Stephenson Place, Birmingham;
c) is a pupil or teacher at any school, college or university situated within 15 miles of Stephenson Place, Birmingham;
d) has at any time previously played for at least three consecutive seasons for any club affiliated to the League (whether or not such club be currently affiliated) and was registered for such club by reason of any of the qualifications in force at that time;
e) resides or has a usual place of business or employment within 15 miles of the club's club-room.

When I first joined Redditch, I was worried about if I was close enough to be within the 15 miles (which I was just), until I realised I also qualified under d.

Dan

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Dan Lambourne wrote: As we need more players, I though I should also mention the full list, as a player can qualify to play if they can prove one of the following:-
I expect it all goes back to feuding between BH Wood and Ritson Morry, but does the Birmingham League have any present day rationale for banning those who are, for the want of a better word, "guest players"?

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:11 pm

No it all goes back to the days when so many people wanted to play in the Birmingham League it was a job to fit them all in! As Alex said there is a proposal to change it which is likely to go through, but there are no guarantees. Dan is just pointing out the different methods to qualify by in case it helps someone.
It is all about getting people chess at the optimal level for them. We have players at all standards from social players to our top board Dan. He's had to play in Division 3 this year which was a bit low for him and was instrumental in helping Redditch win the Terrill Trophy for the first time, as well as gaining promotion to Division 2. He's enjoyed the Worcester & District League Division 1 where top boards are likely to be around him in standard. He did play someone of 200 or so, I have a feeling he won that one. The highlight of his season though must be in beating Keith Arkell in the final of the Terrill Trophy.
Losing one of our best young players is a bit of a blow, although we are absolutely thrilled that he has landed a really good job. It would be nice to recruit 1 or 2 more players who would enjoy Div 2 so we don't have to put people into the team who aren't quite ready for that level. Hopefully, someone will read this and want to join us.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Michele Clack wrote:No it all goes back to the days when so many people wanted to play in the Birmingham League it was a job to fit them all in!
Actually, Roger's probably right. It's the "Anti-Sutton Coldfield" rule, given Sutton Coldfield made the mistake of fielding a touring GM (who was doing an interview for BH Wood in CHESS), and BH decided to put him into a league match against Erdington. I gather Ritson's then club was ... Erdington.
Michele Clack wrote:As Alex said there is a proposal to change it which is likely to go through, but there are no guarantees. Dan is just pointing out the different methods to qualify by in case it helps someone.
Hopefully Redditch is represented at the meeting and votes for it!

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:41 pm

If that's the Management meeting in May then yes we have a volunteer to attend.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu May 01, 2014 8:09 am

"Actually, Roger's probably right. It's the "Anti-Sutton Coldfield" rule, given Sutton Coldfield made the mistake of fielding a touring GM (who was doing an interview for BH Wood in CHESS), and BH decided to put him into a league match against Erdington. I gather Ritson's then club was ... Erdington."

They didn't always get along! The glories of League Chess - I'm sure 90 % of rule changes are proposed by people protecting their own interests or those of their clubs.

David Gostelow

Post by David Gostelow » Thu May 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Seems sensible to get rid of the rule. Not sure how Keith Arkell qualified this season .

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 01, 2014 1:54 pm

David Gostelow wrote: Not sure how Keith Arkell qualified this season .
Birthright presumably. The very first line of the wiki page about him starts
Keith Charles Arkell (born 8 January 1961 in Birmingham)

David Gostelow

Post by David Gostelow » Thu May 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Cant see that on the qualifying list

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 01, 2014 3:24 pm

David Gostelow wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Cant see that on the qualifying list
Keith played for St. James for many years, the club now known as Greenlands. Therefore, he qualifies under d.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:11 pm

We're getting a fair bit of interest from people who have played on the internet or at school and want to try club chess. Hopefully enough for an extra club competition for ungraded players. We are still a bit light for Birmingham League Div 2 though. So anyone looking for a good team for the new season please get in touch. Geography no longer matters in the Birmingham League, you just need to be a paid up member of an affiliated club. New members get their 1st season with us half price. We also have teams in the Worcester & District League as well so plenty of opportunities.