Blood Pressure

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
David Gostelow

Blood Pressure

Post by David Gostelow » Thu May 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Recently diagnosed with high blood pressure, I have been monitoring it with a home machine and Chess matches send it through the roof and it takes about 36 hours to come down to normal , without work and chess its below the 90/140 without tablets. At the moment after discussing it with the doc I have decided to keep playing but reduce the amount a little , take the ACE inhibitors prescribed , do some breathing exercises afterwards and try and where possible get some cycling in afterwards , which seems the best way to drop it for me.

I was wondering of others experience and advice . I have always known that the build up of adrenaline but without the physical use for it as with physical games , is not a good combination and am aware of the list of top players who have died because of this.

The biggest question I had which the doctor was unable to answer it why it takes 36 hrs to get my BP back to normal

Its made all the more annoying as at the moment I will get over 180 for the first time ever

MSoszynski

Re: Blood Pressure

Post by MSoszynski » Fri May 02, 2014 10:56 am

David Gostelow wrote:... am aware of the list of top players who have died because of this.
I'd prefer to see some proper academic research on this topic rather than random lists of players who happened to suffer a stroke or heart attack.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri May 02, 2014 3:24 pm

It's a stressful game.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri May 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Maybe you should give up chess if it is causing your blood pressure to go though the roof.I would recomend taking up gardering growing various plants vegetables far less stressful and one can eat what you grow.

The weather is going to be very nice on Monday so i may put in the runner beans :D

Well i be back next week to see what progress you have made on various subjects on here
when you are successful many losers bark at you.