Dubai Chess Club seeking new entertainers

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
John McKenna

Dubai Chess Club seeking new entertainers

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:32 am

Last edited by John McKenna on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Dubai Chess Club seeking new tainers

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 am

Ach, 53 rating points too low. (Not that I'd necessarily want to be based in the United Arab Emirates anyway.)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:02 pm

About twelve years ago an arbiting associate of mine was offered an attractive sounding post in Jordan. He turned it down because he would have been required to convert to Islam, something which I also would not have been prepared to do.

I have no idea whether or not this would be expected of a successful applicant for the Dubai post.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:26 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:About twelve years ago an arbiting associate of mine was offered an attractive sounding post in Jordan. He turned it down because he would have been required to convert to Islam, something which I also would not have been prepared to do.

I have no idea whether or not this would be expected of a successful applicant for the Dubai post.
My guess would be probably not; IIRC, the UAE has the highest proportion of residents born outside the country of any country, which suggests there aren't too many of those sorts of restrictions being put on jobs there.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Having visited Dubai and Abu Dhabi many times when I lived there I can tell you, you will need an immense amount of patience. Both clubs are noisy and the children misbehave a great deal, often playing football in one of the empty rooms. I once saw a Russian GM trying to show the mating technique for K+B+N V K to the stronger juniors. He was having a hard time. I also didn't like how the club treated him, as if he were a dogsbody. It's 5 years ago now so they may have improved but I doubt it very much. A good place to go if you are at the end of your career but if you want to improve your chess then maybe not.