Gashimov Memorial

The very latest International round up of English news.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: Gashimov Memorial

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Google Translate gives the Suba book title as "Dynamic Chess Strategy" and the Dvoretsky as "Never forget that ... you have an opponent opposite!".

{Moderator Hat}
Having come back from Sunningdale, I've got some time to looking at the earlier heated exchanges in this thread between Crouch and Chandler; my view, for what it's worth, is that Chandler had a valid point but the tone of his first post was always going to get things off on the wrong foot. Had he said something like "I'm at work and can't follow the official site from here; is there any chance you could post a diagram of the position you're talking about?", I suspect things would have been far more pleasant.
{/Moderator Hat}

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 pm

AustinElliott wrote: Speaking from my ECF 160-ish perspective, it looks as if Carlsen missed a relatively simple pawn-winning tactic from Caruana (25. Nxc7!) and is now dead lost...
I would suspect he saw it as the least worst option. If you wind back the position at the chessdom.com site to before the critical position, the Houdini engine prefers 24. .. c6 as does the Komodo engine. The Komodo engine doesn't score much difference between c6 and falling for the cheapo.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
AustinElliott wrote: Speaking from my ECF 160-ish perspective, it looks as if Carlsen missed a relatively simple pawn-winning tactic from Caruana (25. Nxc7!) and is now dead lost...
I would suspect he saw it as the least worst option. If you wind back the position at the chessdom.com site to before the critical position, the Houdini engine prefers 24. .. c6 as does the Komodo engine. The Komodo engine doesn't score much difference between c6 and falling for the cheapo.
Ah. I was looking at the Houdini lines after 24. ..c6 on the tournament site... which appeared noticeably less bad than what Carlsen got in the game - passed h pawn for white, but material equal and R + B (opposite) apiece.

After his repeat and a good think at move 41. Caruana has now presumably calculated the h4 defence to the mating threats fully, and grabbed the f-pawn. Presume the End is Nigh now.

[Edit: if Carlsen's King weren't on the back rank (say on b7 instead), 43. ..Be3 might be fun]

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Carlsen's first loss in 31 games since Caruana beat him at the Tal Memorial June 2013

He needs 6/6 from here to break 2900

I believe Karjakin was avoiding Carlsen's Berlin yesterday, wonder whether he still thinks that was the right idea
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi Jack,

So you were in Sunningdale - any chance of posting a picutre postcard?

"...at the earlier heated exchanges in this thread between Crouch and Chandler."

The heat was coming all one way. I'm always getting picked on and called names.

And look at the post above this.

What is anybody meant to make of that - without a diagram it is utter gibberish.
A waste of space, time and effort.

I was naffed off with Colin because I kew he would he would good things to say.
It's frustrating, the diagram feature is on here, not it using and posting bland analysis is pointless.
Nobody is going to look at it without a digram.

And I'm pulling hairs out of nostrils over at Chessgames.com as well by insisting they use diagrams.
On there all you need do is post the fen - their system even adds the [fen's] for you so there is no excuse.
(Carl - any chance of getting that on here - or even a wee diagram creator thingy?)

Magnus has lost - here as Black he has just played 24...Kc8.

Originally I was thinking Caruana had played his Knight to d5 to chop the e7 Bishop (oppos Bishops).

Everyone seems to be slating 24...Kc8 as a blunder but I'm thinking it was meant to
activate the e7 Bishop, give him some Queenside squares. (maybe - maybe not.)
How about Carlsen giving the lad a usueless pawn to tempt him into
playing for win and not chop on e7 - it worked!

Anyway smashing struggle. Good watching Carlsen fighting and trap setting.

Fabiano Caruana vs Magnus Carlsen, Gashimov Memorial 2014

A lot of them are yakking on about the Berlin Wall...
This game lasted 53.moves, not 23 moves. The opening came and went then
the players had a tense middle game where the key decisions were made.
Nothing at all to do with the opening.

(I like that - think I'll stick it in their forum.)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:And I'm pulling hairs out of nostrils over at Chessgames.com as well by insisting they use diagrams.
On there all you need do is post the fen - their system even adds the [fen's] for you so there is no excuse.
(Carl - any chance of getting that on here - or even a wee diagram creator thingy?)
You just click the B8 square to show the FEN for that position.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote: Nothing at all to do with the opening.
I think it had quite a lot to do with the opening. Not perhaps the individual moves, but the choice. As Black in a Berlin you are left defending against a King Side majority with a locked doubled pawn structure on the Queenside.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: You just click the B8 square to show the FEN for that position.
There's a problem following live games on chessgames.com as it's one of the features they don't give away.
Only premium members of Chessgames may access the live game page at this time.
The b8 square now seems to be debug info, rather than the FEN string
shortcut squares

A8 go to the pgn4web website
B8 debug info v1.96
C8 show this game PGN source data
D8 show full PGN source data

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The b8 square now seems to be debug info, rather than the FEN string.
I will have to check but they are running a very old version, even we don't appear to be current release so I will need to investigate.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: I will have to check but they are running a very old version, even we don't appear to be current release so I will need to investigate.
Actually there's a fairly simple trick, provided you can paste or key the pgn format data. Just paste the data to this forum and put pgn tags around it. Then use "b8" to get the Fen string and paste that. Finally delete the pgn if it's just the diagram to be discussed.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:20 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:The b8 square now seems to be debug info, rather than the FEN string.
I will have to check but they are running a very old version, even we don't appear to be current release so I will need to investigate.
The chessgames.com site uses a very old version of pgn4web, I could not convince them to upgrade.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Vancura rook’s pawn rook ending in today's Radjabov v Nakamura. Has anybody had it in a rated game?

J

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Vancura rook’s pawn rook ending in today's Radjabov v Nakamura.
Has anybody had it in a rated game?

Teimour Radjabov vs Hikaru Nakamura, Gashimov Memorial 2014

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:37 am

Specifically the Vancura position is this ...

With White to play it’s 1-0. With Black to play, though, it’s a draw (although only after an exact sequence of moves starting with 59 ... Rb5).

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am

Impressive, if you knew that off the top of your head, which I expect you do by now.

I have an idea! Gentlemen, we can build an invincible Frankenstein's monster, made of a collection of players under 2200, who could be expected to do well even against 2500 opposition! You know, with Jonathan B being the part of the monster which plays the pure rook and pawn ending as required, and so on. Which other players would we cannabilise to play the other parts of the game?