Financial Times piece on the FIDE Presidential election

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

Financial Times piece on the FIDE Presidential election

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Must-read article by Sam Jones that touches on all kinds of interesting things, like the widespread Russian state assistance received by Dvorkovich, Makro's remarkable medical bills and the question of what Kasparov had to do with the election and (perhaps) why.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Robertson

Re: Financial Times piece on the FIDE Presidential election

Post by David Robertson » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Yes, I read this earlier. It's very long, promised much, but delivered surprisingly little that's new, given it claims access to hitherto undisclosed material.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:34 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:07 pm
Yes, I read this earlier. It's very long, promised much, but delivered surprisingly little that's new, given it claims access to hitherto undisclosed material.
Indeed, just a lengthy and uncritical repetition of ageing sour grapes. I wonder who might have planted it?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:06 pm

I doubt anybody "planted" it, though I imagine we can guess its major source, not that that's actually important.

One helpful thing it does do is put a lot of previously known material in one place (helpful, if for no other reason, because not all of it will have been known to everyone who reads it). A fair amount of what's there is a bit more serious than can be written off as "sour grapes". And the Kasparov material is intriguing, and could do with being fleshed out a little.

I'd have cut the historical and political digressions, myself, though perhaps that's what FT readers want to see. But much of it consists of uncomfortable reading for people who should be made less comfortable.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com