FIDE Sanctions Shohreh Bayat?

The very latest International round up of English news.
Kevin Thurlow

FIDE Sanctions Shohreh Bayat?

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:53 pm

https://www.thearticle.com/fide-russia- ... hreh-bayat

I have no idea how accurate this is.

Mike Gunn

Re: FIDE Sanctions Shohreh Bayat?

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:11 am

This reminds me of another case of an ECF director who got himself into hot water by wearing a T-shirt with a political message.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:07 pm

chess.com covered this on 10 January

Dvorkovich needs to be replaced, but I doubt that will happen
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:31 pm

Today British Chess News sent the following Tweet to David Llada:

"@davidllada The viewers, listeners and readers of @BritishChess are keen to learn of your reason(s) to request @ShohrehBayat
not to wear clothing of her choice.

#chess @ecfchess @ecf_women @FIDE_chess @WomenChessFIDE @TelegraphChess @LeonWatson @richardpalliser @chesstutor"

I'll post here any replies.

lcc_5979_lv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:55 pm

John Upham wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:31 pm

"@davidllada The viewers, listeners and readers of @BritishChess are keen to learn of your reason(s) to request @ShohrehBayat
So you think this statement from https://www.chess.com/news/view/iranian ... de-t-shirt doesn't explain his reasons?

"While we respect Ms. Bayat's political stance and activities, any FIDE officials need to follow political neutrality while on duty, and of all the official positions one can hold, that of an arbiter is the one that demands higher standards of integrity, neutrality, and discretion. No matter how noble or uncontroversial the cause is, doing activism from that role is inappropriate and unprofessional."

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:55 pm
John Upham wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:31 pm

So you think this statement from https://www.chess.com/news/view/iranian ... de-t-shirt doesn't explain his reasons?

"While we respect Ms. Bayat's political stance and activities, any FIDE officials need to follow political neutrality while on duty, and of all the official positions one can hold, that of an arbiter is the one that demands higher standards of integrity, neutrality, and discretion. No matter how noble or uncontroversial the cause is, doing activism from that role is inappropriate and unprofessional."

I'm interested in his personal reasons rather than ones given to him by Dvorkovich/Sutovsky to spout.

If he continues to say was what he was told to say then fair enough but he might chose to be more forthcoming.
Last edited by John Upham on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:35 am

I think this is genuinely difficult. Let's take another example, this time in the context of the US Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade. Two US arbiters arrive, one wearing clothing with a 'pro-life' message', the other wearing clothing with a 'right-to-choose' message, with each genuinely believing in his or her cause. Seriously, if you were a FIDE official, would you want them pictured side-by-side at some prestigious event?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:35 am
I think this is genuinely difficult. Let's take another example, this time in the context of the US Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade. Two US arbiters arrive, one wearing clothing with a 'pro-life' message', the other wearing clothing with a 'right-to-choose' message, with each genuinely believing in his or her cause. Seriously, if you were a FIDE official, would you want them pictured side-by-side at some prestigious event?
Yes, as long as they weren't pulling guns on each other

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:00 pm

This is not a criticism of Shohreh: she knows what an effective protest looks like. If it didn't put the organisers in a genuinely difficult position where they're having to check the rulebook, there'd be no point doing it. Ideally you want the reaction to be 70% "YAAAS QUEEN" and 30% "well I don't know whether the tone was entirely appropriate".
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.