Tata Steel 12 - 28 Jan 2024

The very latest International round up of English news.
Paul Cooksey

Tata Steel 12 - 28 Jan 2024

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:58 pm

Line-up announced:

Ding (I really hope he plays)
Firouzja
Nepomniachtchi
Giri
Gukesh
Praggnanandhaa
Maghsoodloo
Wei Yi
Abdussattorov
Vidit
van Foreest
Donchenko
Warmerdam
Ju Wenjun

Which looks great, albeit missing Magnus. Per Tournament Director “Unfortunately, Magnus’ schedule does not allow him to participate with us this year. He plays several other tournaments in February and that means that he is not at our tournament for the second time in 20 years. We obviously hope to welcome him again in 2025. He really belongs to our tournament and is always welcome.”

LawrenceCooper

Re: Tata Steel 12 - 28 Jan 2024

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:15 pm

The Challengers line up is decent too:

Korobov, Niemann, Yilmaz, Saleh, Santos Latasa, l'Ami, Mendonca, Dardha, Maurizzi, Vrojlik, Harika, Beukema, Deshmukh, Roebers.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:45 pm

"Ding (I really hope he plays)"

I have sent a message to the organisers telling them I can take Ding's place if he pulls out. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

In the days before email I often use to apply for football managers jobs just so I
would a crested letter reply. Most replied but all surprisingly said 'No.'

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:29 pm

"The Challengers line up is decent too:

Korobov, Niemann, Yilmaz, Saleh, Santos Latasa, l'Ami, Mendonca, Dardha, Maurizzi, Vrojlik, Harika, Beukema, Deshmukh, Roebers."

Indeed - Roebers played some lively games last time.

Am I the only one hoping for Niemann to qualify for the top group next time...?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:16 pm

TWIC
World Champion Ding Liren who has hardly played after winning the title due to ill health will be looking to start afresh and begin a legacy as champion. 7 of the 14 Masters are top 10 players but Magnus Carlsen is missing for only the second time in 20 years. The organisers say Carlsen has a busy schedule in February, I only have Prague as an event he could plausibly play but there's no indication that's it, so maybe something new, maybe something online. Other players missing are the leading Americans and MVL. Nevertheless it looks the usual right balance of different styles, ages and strengths of players to produce the usual great tournament.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:25 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:29 pm
Am I the only one hoping for Niemann to qualify for the top group next time...?
And come 2025 Carlsen and Nakamura are playing :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:17 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:45 pm
"Ding (I really hope he plays)"

I have sent a message to the organisers telling them I can take Ding's place if he pulls out. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

In the days before email I often use to apply for football managers jobs just so I
would a crested letter reply. Most replied but all surprisingly said 'No.'
If you do get in Geoff, I promise I will come and show my support. Maybe a football rattle would be in your style.

Your job applications reminded me of this remarkable story: (apologies for link to the Daily Mail) https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... eague.html

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:42 pm

Hi Nick,

I recall when Graham Souness was manager at Southampton he got caught out like that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Dia

Sorry if things are a wee bit off topic but Tata Steel is months away. Let's get Hastings out the way first. (no reply yet from the Tata Steel organisers. )

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:13 pm

TWIC
The 86th Tata Steel chess tournament takes place Saturday 13th to Sun 28th Jan 2024 in Wijk aan Zee. Players: Masters: Ding Liren, Alireza Firouzja, Ian Nepomniachtchi, Anish Giri, D Gukesh, R Praggnanandhaa, Parham Maghsoodloo, Wei Yi, Nodirbek Abdusattorov, Santosh Gujrathi Vidit, Jorden Van Foreest, Alexander Donchenko, Max Warmerdam and Wenjun Ju. Challengers: Anton Korobov, Hans Moke Niemann, Mustafa Yilmaz, A.R. Saleh Salem, Jaime Santos Latasa, Erwin L'Ami, Leon Luke Mendonca, Daniel Dardha, Marc Andria Maurizzi, Liam Vrolijk, Harika Dronavalli, Stefan Beukema, Deshmukh Divya and Eline Roebers.

World Champion Ding Liren who has hardly played after winning the title due to ill health will be looking to start afresh and begin a legacy as champion. 7 of the 14 Masters are top 10 players but Magnus Carlsen is missing for only the second time in 20 years. The organisers say Carlsen has a busy schedule in February, one of those being a shuffle chess event. Other players missing are the leading Americans and MVL. Nevertheless it looks the usual right balance of different styles, ages and strengths of players to produce the usual great tournament.
Website

chess.com Ding interview
World Champion Ding Liren seems ready and eager to return to the chessboard for his first classical chess tournament in eight months. "I am much better than maybe two or three months ago," he said
Ding will be arriving in Wijk aan Zee on Thursday as the top seed, but he doesn't see himself as the tournament favorite. "No, I don't think so," he said with a smile. "I am not so confident about my strength. Also, I have the crown, so there will be more cameras on me, which brings extra pressure."

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:23 am

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:16 am

Prompted by Wei Yi's poem in the chess.com interview with Ding Liren (Mick's post above), I asked the Bard of Google to compose a poem on Ding's return to play. It seems to use a German/Norse word to keep the rhyme with 'steigt'. He had already returned to play after the pandemic, so I can't give it an A+:

The King Returns

Ding Liren, king of the checkered squares,
Returns to battle, casts away his cares.
A year of absence, a pandemic's hold,
But passion for the game, within him, bold.

His mind, a palace, sharp and deep,
Where cunning knights and bishops sleep.
The rooks on watch, the pawns advance,
A silent war, a strategy's dance.

His fingers fly, a blur of thought,
Each move a whisper, victory sought.
The clock ticks slow, the tension steigt,
Will white or black emerge as light?

The world awaits, with bated breath,
As Ding Liren conquers, or meets his death.
For in this game of minds, of logic's art,
Only one king can claim the beating heart.

So raise a glass, to strategy's might,
And hail the champion, back to the fight!
For Ding Liren returns, with fire in his eyes,
To paint the board with victories, and claim the prize.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:02 pm

Your surprise winners will be Abdussattorov & Maurizzi

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:13 pm

Nice poem. Can I ask if you composed that yourself, Roland, or if the reference to "Bard of Google" is a reference I am missing a subtle meaning of? (I dread to think what ChatGPT would come up with.)

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:39 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:13 pm
Nice poem. Can I ask if you composed that yourself, Roland, or if the reference to "Bard of Google" is a reference I am missing a subtle meaning of? (I dread to think what ChatGPT would come up with.)
Christopher, no, this is produced by Google's Bard ( https://bard.google.com/ ), which works very similarly to ChatGPT I believe. Once upon a time if one could have produced something like that, after a few months' effort, fame would await.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:45 pm

Roland Kensdale wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:39 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:13 pm
Christopher, no, this is produced by Google's Bard ( https://bard.google.com/ ), which works very similarly to ChatGPT I believe. Once upon a time if one could have produced something like that, after a few months' effort, fame would await.
I think the following are especially pleasing:

His mind, a palace, sharp and deep,
Where cunning knights and bishops sleep.

His fingers fly, a blur of thought,
Each move a whisper, victory sought.