European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Apr

The very latest International round up of English news.
benedgell

Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap

Post by benedgell » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:24 pm

I understand that as professionals the prize money is the most important aspect of the tournament, and as such the short draw makes sense, but its still a terrible advert for chess that the European Championship was decided by a 12 move draw in one game and a 22 move draw in the other.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:38 pm

benedgell wrote:I understand that as professionals the prize money is the most important aspect of the tournament, and as such the short draw makes sense, but its still a terrible advert for chess that the European Championship was decided by a 12 move draw in one game and a 22 move draw in the other.
Maybe if there had been a rapid/blitz play-off to decide the title it would have provided the excitement that was lacking in those two games. Other than having Sofia rules or big win bonuses there's not too many ways around it.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:54 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Please also see Mark Crowther's report on TWIC at http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/chessnews/e ... idual-2011, citing Macauley Peterson on Chess Vibes at http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/potki ... tie-break/.

My understanding is as indicated in those reports and in the comments up thread here, namely that Potkin and Mamedov had already qualified from last year's European Individual Championship and Svidler by virtue of his rating.
TWIC is now noting a Serbian report that Jakovenko had too qualified by rating, thus putting Ivanisevic in a qualifying place too

Bit of a shambles, wonder who is to blame?

The World Cup is run by FIDE, but they are run by a stellar human being, so can't be their fault

The qualifier is an ECU event, they too are lead by an excellent individual, so can't be their fault

The event was in France, their chess is full of nice fellows, can't be their fault

Conclusion, it must be Sean Hewitt's fault :D
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:Please also see Mark Crowther's report on TWIC at http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/chessnews/e ... idual-2011, citing Macauley Peterson on Chess Vibes at http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/potki ... tie-break/.

My understanding is as indicated in those reports and in the comments up thread here, namely that Potkin and Mamedov had already qualified from last year's European Individual Championship and Svidler by virtue of his rating.
TWIC is now noting a Serbian report that Jakovenko had too qualified by rating, thus putting Ivanisevic in a qualifying place too

Bit of a shambles, wonder who is to blame?

The World Cup is run by FIDE, but they are run by a stellar human being, so can't be their fault

The qualifier is an ECU event, they too are lead by an excellent individual, so can't be their fault

The event was in France, their chess is full of nice fellows, can't be their fault

Conclusion, it must be Sean Hewitt's fault :D
It would be nice to know in advance which players are qualified although sometimes I wonder if the players themselves know :?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:I can also confirm that 6 GM & 12 IM norms were achieved.
Thanks for that bit of news (and thanks to David as well for pointing to the europe eches report). Will the full list of norms achieved be published at some point, and would any British IMs have considered attempting to get GM norms here? I'm asking because I looked back over the list of recent English GMs, and there wasn't one last year (or in 2004, I think), but one every other year this decade. Was wondering where the next English GM will be coming from.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Thanks David. I'll probably arbit a world championship match before I'm even asked to do the British Championships though :-)
Ironically it looks like I'll be arbiting at another country's national championships before I get asked to arbit at the British!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Ironically it looks like I'll be arbiting at another country's national championships before I get asked to arbit at the British!
Where and when?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:00 am

You should really be a 4NCL arbiter Sean. The arbiter I had for the Cambridge V 'buca game was nothing short of a shock to the system.

Still livid about that. I really wish David or Neville etc had been in room.

Ben
Last edited by IM Jack Rudd on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To make it clear that a certain word is a shortening
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:00 am

Ben Purton wrote:You should really be a 4NCL arbiter Sean.
Ben
Might be a bit tricky whilst I'm playing in 4NCL div3!

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 am

Like they say in the Adam Sandler films "You can do it"
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 am

Ben Purton wrote:You should really be a 4NCL arbiter Sean. The arbiter I had for the Cambridge V Buca game was nothing short of a shock to the system.

Still livid about that. I really wish David or Neville etc had been in room.

Ben
Ben, you should be more careful of your shortening of Sambuca. :wink:

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 am

The day you play in division 1........ :P

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Sam v buca :?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm

LozCooper wrote:Sam v buca :?
BUCA's Treasurer is called Sam...

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:50 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Thanks David. I'll probably arbit a world championship match before I'm even asked to do the British Championships though :-)
Ironically it looks like I'll be arbiting at another country's national championships before I get asked to arbit at the British!
A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country. (Matthew 13:57)