e2e4 Brighton International Congress 23-27 Feb

The very latest International round up of English news.
Sean Hewitt

Re: e2e4 Brighton International Congress 23-27 Feb

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Leonard Barden wrote: But I am curious about the pairings: was it entirely random that the top rated players in this event only meet each other in the last four rounds? It does improve Yang-Fan's chances of halving his way to the norm.
Yang-Fan took advantage of his draw and halved out by beating his remaining 4 opponents :oops:

So, he scores 9/9 for a TPR of 3038.

Good job he had a kind draw though.
Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Leaders after round 8:

Masters A: Yang-Fan Zhou 8/8 (IM norm with two rounds to go) Keith Arkell 6.5

Masters B: Danny Gormally 7.5/8

Challengers C: Isaac Craft 6/7 + 1 bye

Challengers D: Michael Prizant 6/8

Major E: Kevin Millward 6/7 + 1 bye

Major F: Stephen Prior 6.5/8

Major G: Anna Charpidou 8/8 Mustapha Othman 7.5

Major H: Yang-Jian Zhou 8/8

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Leonard Barden wrote: But I am curious about the pairings: was it entirely random that the top rated players in this event only meet each other in the last four rounds? It does improve Yang-Fan's chances of halving his way to the norm.
Yang-Fan took advantage of his draw and halved out by beating his remaining 4 opponents :oops:

Good job he had a kind draw though.
Well, as 7/9 IM norm requirements go, it was an easy one ;) Wise to get 8/9 in those circumstances to prove that a tougher field wouldn't have caused you any bother. 9/9 is just showing off really.

I guess that must put him within a couple of good game results of 2400, with 4NCL-to-date included. A useful time to be in the middle of a 4NCL season with ratings based on an old list.

Your software has a TPR of 2973 btw - might be wise to just confirm which is correct before it starts getting wikipediad as a potential World Record! ;)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Your software has a TPR of 2973 btw - might be wise to just confirm which is correct before it starts getting wikipediad as a potential World Record! ;)
3038 is correct.

Mathematically a 100% score gives rise to a TPR of infinity, so FIDE use a notional figure. A couple of years ago that figure was changed from +735 (added to the average rating of the opponents) to +800.

Swiss Master hasn't been updated for the change.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:
3038 is correct.

Mathematically a 100% score gives rise to a TPR of infinity, so FIDE use a notional figure. A couple of years ago that figure was changed from +735 (added to the average rating of the opponents) to +800.

Swiss Master hasn't been updated cor the change.
Thanks.
Last edited by Richard Bates on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Hi Yang-Fan (if you're out there reading this....)

OMG!! That is brilliant and we are all so proud that we know you. Well done on this tournament and on getting your IM norms in such spectacular style!

Look forward to watching you get your GM norms now. Forgive our lack of knowledge, but do these count as GM norms as well, or do you have to get IM norms first? How does it work?

Also, praise to Sean at e2e4 and Scott (Coulsdon) for providing the possibility for Yang-Fan to get his norms in England.

Look forward to seeing you soon to congratulate you in person,

Kind regards,

Krishna and Rohan (and all the juniors who also have been watching - there are lots out there!)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
Hi Yang-Fan (if you're out there reading this....)

OMG!! That is brilliant and we are all so proud that we know you. Well done on this tournament and on getting your IM norms in such spectacular style!

Look forward to watching you get your GM norms now. Forgive our lack of knowledge, but do these count as GM norms as well, or do you have to get IM norms first? How does it work?
One step at a time ;) He needs another IM norm to reach the standard for IM. A GM norm is a different standard so this doesn't qualify.

If you're interested - the detail is at the following link: http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:02 pm

List of winners:

Masters A: Yang-Fan Zhou 9/9 (IM norm with two rounds to spare)

Masters B: Danny Gormally 8/9

Challengers C: Isaac Craft 6.5/8 + 1 bye

Challengers D: Michael Prizant 6.5/9

Major E: Kevin Millward 7/8 + 1 bye +

Major F: Stephen Prior 7.5/9

Major G: Mustapha Othman 8.5

Major H: Yang-Jian Zhou & Niall Doran 8
Last edited by LozCooper on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but given Yang- Fan's RP and the number of titled and foreign players he played against, what prevents his performance from giving him a GM norm?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:12 pm

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article

1.45b For a GM norm at least 1/3 with a minimum 3 of the opponents (MO) must be GMs. For exact numbers see table in 1.7.

Next time!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 pm

benedgell wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but given Yang- Fan's RP and the number of titled and foreign players he played against, what prevents his performance from giving him a GM norm?
Adam Raoof wrote:http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article

1.45b For a GM norm at least 1/3 with a minimum 3 of the opponents (MO) must be GMs. For exact numbers see table in 1.7.

Next time!
Also, for a GM norm, the average rating of the player's opponents must be at least 2380.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Well, as 7/9 IM norm requirements go, it was an easy one ;) Wise to get 8/9 in those circumstances to prove that a tougher field wouldn't have caused you any bother.
What an amazing day of sport. My Blue Noses duff up Arsenal to win the Carling Cup(thus qualifying for Europe).

England tie India with 338 runs each.

Then to cap it all Yang-Fan does this! To be fair it was a normal strenght IM tourney,as born out by IM Jack Rudd's 50% score and GM Cherniaev's fractionally below par performance of 6.5/9 (the same score he got when he beat Korchnoi to come 2nd in a recent Staunton Memorial). My target was 8 (rating recovery mission!) but 7.5 was quite ok. Normally enough for first, but hopelessly inadequate this time! Little did I know that my hard fought draw in round 1 v the Russian GM would mean I had already dropped more points than Y-F would drop all tourney. At least I can say I was there when it happened!