COULSDON "EASTER" INTERNATIONAL 17-21 April

The very latest International round up of English news.
LozCooper

COULSDON "EASTER" INTERNATIONAL 17-21 April

Post by LozCooper » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:39 pm

http://www.ccfworld.com/Chess/Results/2 ... tional.htm

NORM EVENT - TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
a Sun 17 Apr: 13-00
b Mon 18 Apr: 10-30
c Mon 18 Apr: 15-00*
d Tue 19 Apr: 10-30
e Tue 19 Apr: 15-00*
f Wed 20 Apr: 10-30
g Wed 20 Apr: 15-00*
h Thu 21 Apr: 10-30
j Thu 21 Apr: 15-00*

Round 1 pairings:

GM Aaron Summerscale ½-½ GM Alexander Cherniaev
IM Jack Rudd ½-½ GM Bogdan Lalic
FM Yang-Fan Zhou 1-0 Eoin Campbell
Andreas Skytte Hagen ½-½ Chris Briscoe
Jude Lenier 0-1 Ioannis Stavrianakis
Last edited by LozCooper on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Freeman

Re: COULSDON "EASTER" INTERNATIONAL 17-21 April

Post by Scott Freeman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Wow - that is impressive service! Within a few hours Keith Selby will have the games on the web site for anyone to play through. The links (and updated results) will appear at:
http://www.ccfworld.com/Chess/Results/2 ... tional.htm

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 pm

What is the IM norm requirement for this event? Ah, it says on the website: 6/8 for Yang-Fan Zhou. Who I saw playing a sacrifice in a match for Wimbledon the other week (11th April) against Ian Snape. Unfortunately, I didn't see the result. I'm trying to work out what league that would be, and what the result was.

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:36 pm

The link I have put above will give you what is required from hereon in. Yang-Fan started needing 7 out of 9 and now needs 6 out of 8. The same score is required by Andreas Skytte Hagen, who is still in play against Chris Briscoe. The other candidate players need a mere 6.5 out of 9.....!

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:47 pm

The final update of the day - Chris Briscoe managed to get a draw by repetition in what was otherwise likely to be a lost position. So at the end of day 1, most of the serious norm chasers are doing well. I understand that Yang-Fan has already "touched" a rating of 2400 so will be effectively confirmed as an IM if he gets his final norm here. I think he'd be the 3rd player (after Jovica Radovanovic and Jan Lundin) to get more than 1 norm in CCF events if he does. I believe we have just enough time to get this event into the May ratings so maybe he'll be published at 2400.

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 pm

and Christopher - the Zhou v Snape match was drawn - in the Surrey Trophy. Ironically an interesting situation attached there as Yang-Fan was not listed on the SCCA web site as being eligible for 2 clubs, yet played for Wimbledon for the first time that season having played for South Norwood for most of the season already; dual club eligibility has to be registered before the first match of the season. The tournament controller has advised me that a "verbal" discussion between him and the Wimbledon captain at the start of the season confirmed that it was OK (they are both Wimbledon members so highly possible such a conversation took place). Ironically we (CCF) managed to do exactly the same on bottom board - in playing a player who had (unbeknown to us) played for another club.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Scott Freeman wrote:and Christopher - the Zhou v Snape match was drawn
Thanks for that. I remember looking at the position just before the sacrifice and wondering if the (bishop) sacrifice was possible. And then Yang-Fan played it! It got a bit complicated after that. Too complicated for me to follow properly, especially as I was meant to be playing my own game in another match!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:26 am

"and Christopher - the Zhou v Snape match was drawn - in the Surrey Trophy. Ironically an interesting situation attached there as Yang-Fan was not listed on the SCCA web site as being eligible for 2 clubs, yet played for Wimbledon for the first time that season having played for South Norwood for most of the season already; dual club eligibility has to be registered before the first match of the season. The tournament controller has advised me that a "verbal" discussion between him and the Wimbledon captain at the start of the season confirmed that it was OK (they are both Wimbledon members so highly possible such a conversation took place). Ironically we (CCF) managed to do exactly the same on bottom board - in playing a player who had (unbeknown to us) played for another club."

But BOTH clubs have to apply before the first game is played. I wonder if that happened? I'm not complaining - Surrey Champions Redhill benefited like that a couple of years ago!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Not sure if Kevin is still right but will go and check the SCCA web site. What I do know is that South Norwood did NOT make any such notification to the controller - and they are not happy either!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Round 2:

Chris Briscoe (½) 0-1 Jude Lenier (0)
Eoin Campbell (0) 0-1 Bogdan Lalic (½)
GM Alexander Cherniaev (½) 1-0 IM Jack Rudd (½)
Ioannis Stavrianakis (1) 0-1 GM Aaron Summerscale (½)
FM Yang-Fan Zhou (1) 1-0 FM Andreas Skytte Hagen (½)
Last edited by LozCooper on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Kevin is correct.

3.2.1 A Club may be represented in Club Competitions only by its members A player who represents a Club in a Club Competition may also represent another Club in a different division in the same competition. Where a player elects to play for two Clubs, both must notify the Controller before the first match played by either.

Previous communication from the controller indicated that he was not going to penalise Wimbledon (and us for bottom board!), but I think this shows he is obliged to do something. I have emailed him the rule and await developments.

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Back to the International - Yang-Fan is now on 2 out of 2. He plays Jude Lenier this afternoon. After his performance at Brighton, once assumes he must be the most serious norm chance.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Round 2 results:

Chris Briscoe (½) 0-1 Jude Lenier (0)
Eoin Campbell (0) 0-1 Bogdan Lalic (½)
GM Alexander Cherniaev (½) 1-0 IM Jack Rudd (½)
Ioannis Stavrianakis (1) 0-1 GM Aaron Summerscale (½)
FM Yang-Fan Zhou (1) 1-0 FM Andreas Skytte Hagen (½)

Round 3:

GM Bogdan Lalic ½-½ GM Alexander Cherniaev
Jude Lenier 0-1 Yang-Fan Zhou (start by 15-30)
GM Aaron Summerscale ½-½ Chris Briscoe (start by 15-30),
IM Jack Rudd 0-1 Ioannis Stavrianakis (start by 15-30),
FM Andreas Skytte Hagen 1-0 Eoin Campbell (start by 15-30)
Last edited by LozCooper on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Had Lalic v Chernaiev even started?! :P

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Had Lalic v Chernaiev even started?! :P
Well it says games to start by 15:30 so nothing to stop them rattling off a few moves before then :roll: