COULSDON "EASTER" INTERNATIONAL 17-21 April

The very latest International round up of English news.
LozCooper

Re: COULSDON "EASTER" INTERNATIONAL 17-21 April

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:36 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I hope John is filing away those posts by Sean and Scott for future reference! :)

I still harbour vague hopes of extending the list here to include details of when the norms were acquired for the title and when the rating reached the required level (when that was a requirement):

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2165

Of course, some people acquire more than the 3 norms required, and some get multiple norms from a single result. I would hope, though, that every norm was covered in some form of chess reporting somewhere.

Is a complete listing of all norms ever achieved by ENG registered players feasible? I suppose FIDE would have the complete records somewhere, though whether all in one place is another matter. Would the ECF records also be complete in this regard?

The FIDE records appear to be way out of date. I'm trying to keep an accurate record and Howard Grist (the Rating Officer) would also have a record. If I hear of any norms I certainly do my best to report them. In fact, if it wasn't for the office being closed over Easter, there would be a picture of Yang-Fan and a write-up of Coulsdon on the front page but I hope it will appear when they re-open after Easter. At least I have the forum to use in the meantime :D

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:05 pm

I'll get you started on the norms achieved in the 4NCL by listing those made by Barbican players (I suspect we have racked up more than any other individual Club)

1999/2000 Nick Pert (GM)
2000/1 Richard Palliser and Simon Knott (IM_)
2001/2 Stefan Shikerov (IM)
2002/3 Steve Dishman (IM)
2003/4 Lawrence Trent (IM)
2004/5 John Cox (IM)
2005/6 Neil Berry (IM)
2006/7 Mike Twyble (IM)
2007/8 Lorin d'Costa (IM)
2009/10 Graham Morrison (IM)

So 2008/9 waas an unusually quiet year for us! Last year though was a near bonanza, since three other players (Terry Chapman, Matthew Piper and Neil Berry) all missed by just half a point.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I'll get you started on the norms achieved in the 4NCL by listing those made by Barbican players (I suspect we have racked up more than any other individual Club)

1999/2000 Nick Pert (GM)
2004/5 John Cox (IM)
2005/6 Neil Berry (IM)
2006/7 Mike Twyble (IM)

So 2008/9 waas an unusually quiet year for us! Last year though was a near bonanza, since three other players (Terry Chapman, Matthew Piper and Neil Berry) all missed by just half a point.
Very impressive record and hopefully many more to come :D Any in contention this year?

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I hope John is filing away those posts by Sean and Scott for future reference!
Yes indeed and thanks to Scott, Sean and others for responding to my question. I have tucked away the info in a file where you can be sure... I'll never find it again. Does anyone else have that problem? I have what I like to think is a well-structured folder system and try to use meaningful names for files but I'm damned if I can find things when I need them. Of course, I stumble upon these files by accident occasionally and think "what a useful piece of info!" but it is usually long after I could have used it profitably in some article or other. Infuriating.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Of my team, our norms came from Gawain , who got 2 GM norms for us(one in European club cup) and One in 4NCL. I THINK(don't quote me) he technically got IM norm for us but already had 3-4 at time of gaining one.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:56 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:I'll get you started on the norms achieved in the 4NCL by listing those made by Barbican players (I suspect we have racked up more than any other individual Club)

1999/2000 Nick Pert (GM)
2004/5 John Cox (IM)
2005/6 Neil Berry (IM)
2006/7 Mike Twyble (IM)

Very impressive record and hopefully many more to come :D Any in contention this year?
I am thinking of four, but would rather not name them. All of them have much to do still and from the statistical point of view we would probably be advised to be happy if just one of them were to succeed.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm

This from the 4NCL website:

Norms at the 4NCL - Neville Belinfante

28.04.2011 - Following the appeal for norm-seekers to contact me, the players listed below have responded and can achieve norms this weekend.

GM Norm: Jonathan Hawkins (Cheddleton), Yang-Fan Zhou (e2e4.org.uk), Andrew Ledger (Betsson.com) and John Cox (Barbican).

IM Norm: Yang-Fan Zhou (e2e4.org.uk), Laurence Webb (Betsson.com), David Ledger (Betsson.com), David Zakarian (Oxford), Chris Dorrington (Barbican), Darren Wheeler (the ADs), Ian Snape (the ADs), Sam Williams (Sambuca Sharks) and Peter Sowray (Wood Green, Hilsmark Kingfisher).

WIM Norm: Kanwal Bhatia (Barbican) and Sophie Tidman (Oxford).

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Further number cunching has since suggested that, despite having 7/8 thus far, John Cox's opposition to date has been too weak to give him any GM norm chances.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Further number cunching has since suggested that, despite having 7/8 thus far, John Cox's opposition to date has been too weak to give him any GM norm chances.
Playing Anand, Aronian and Carlsen might just get his average up to 2380 :roll:

Even more improbably, Jonathan Hawkins was informed that a loss to a 2846 gets him a GM norm :shock:

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 am

Scott Freeman wrote:Kevin is correct.

3.2.1 A Club may be represented in Club Competitions only by its members A player who represents a Club in a Club Competition may also represent another Club in a different division in the same competition. Where a player elects to play for two Clubs, both must notify the Controller before the first match played by either.
I'm amazed that other people haven't complained, the rule seems so clear. Yet this is the reason why I no longer play in the Surrey league. Surbiton played Chris Briscoe against Wallington when he wasn't eligible. Surbiton won the match and subsequently the Division. I personally think verbal communication should not be allowed as there is no evidence it took place. Especially, as there is a page on the SCCA website specifically for notification of that to all clubs. http://www.scca.co.uk/comps/nom_index.html - I don't blame the tournament controller but the clubs themselves. There was a lot of emails about this subject and I found both teams were very childish. If I ever play in a league again, it will be with my boxing gloves in my bag.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.