e2e4.org.uk Sunningdale Open

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: e2e4.org.uk Sunningdale Open

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: So if I "organise" a FIDE-rated "Open" that happens to be, er, badly advertised (enquiries through the FIDE website from GMs would mysteriously go astray), and I win it, I get a British Championship qualifying place?
In a word, yes.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: PS. Sean, I love the way you have put down a marker for the "Bank Holiday Chess Congress; 1-5 June 2012" - no venue , but you've grabbed the date (the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Bank Holiday?) already. :lol:
Seems logical to take advantage of the extra holiday Tuesday and run a nine round tournament. Provided the 90 30 move rate is still accepted by FIDE, there could be Norm chances as well. The Cotswold Congress were undecided as to whether to stick with their established 6 round format or extend to the extra day.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: So if I "organise" a FIDE-rated "Open" that happens to be, er, badly advertised (enquiries through the FIDE website from GMs would mysteriously go astray), and I win it, I get a British Championship qualifying place?
In a word, yes.
I was, of course, joking, but I did wonder a few months ago whether some Opens are less competitive than others, and/or as people qualify, whether lower-rated players (still putting in good performances) manage to snaffle a qualifying place. Does that contribute to the change in playing strength seen at the British?
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: PS. Sean, I love the way you have put down a marker for the "Bank Holiday Chess Congress; 1-5 June 2012" - no venue , but you've grabbed the date (the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Bank Holiday?) already. :lol:
Seems logical to take advantage of the extra holiday Tuesday and run a nine round tournament. Provided the 90 30 move rate is still accepted by FIDE, there could be Norm chances as well. The Cotswold Congress were undecided as to whether to stick with their established 6 round format or extend to the extra day.
I hadn't realised the May Bank Holiday was being moved to June - that explains things.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:You assume right - all FIDE rated Opens in the UK have a British Championship qualifying place.
So if I "organise" a FIDE-rated "Open" that happens to be, er, badly advertised (enquiries through the FIDE website from GMs would mysteriously go astray), and I win it, I get a British Championship qualifying place? This was prompted directly by the dodgy ethics post you made in another thread!
Roger de Coverly wrote:In a word, yes.
I don't think so, Roger. I suspect that, if Christopher did anything as blatant as that, the Congress Directors would decline to accept his entry.

However, the underlying point is a valid one. FIDE decided a couple of years ago that a Swiss Tournament had to have a mininimum of 20 players to be valid for a FIDE Arbiter norm. There's certainly a case for specifying that a FIDE rated Open has to have a minimum number of players (not necessarily 20) in order to receive the British Championship Qualifying Place.

Those responsible (of whom I am not one) may consider this for 2011-12.

The e2e4 events are growing in size and stature and I see no problem with a BCQ place being awarded at each.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:45 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I was, of course, joking, but I did wonder a few months ago whether some Opens are less competitive than others, and/or as people qualify, whether lower-rated players (still putting in good performances) manage to snaffle a qualifying place. Does that contribute to the change in playing strength seen at the British?
I don't wish to name names, but I've identified a few relatively weak qualifiers from small events. Hence the comments in my previous post.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I don't think so, Roger. I suspect that, if Christopher did anything as blatant as that, the Congress Directors would decline to accept his entry.
Might be even simpler, in that organisers shouldn't be playing in and winning events they organise. Creates a clear conflict of interest. But yeah, you would hope the British Championships organisers would spot anything blatant.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:54 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: Those responsible (of whom I am not one) may consider this for 2011-12.

The e2e4 events are growing in size and stature and I see no problem with a BCQ place being awarded at each.
I have actually suggested to Andrew Farthing by email that the ECF may also wish to consider whether larger events such as Gibraltar, Hastings, London, (us?) should have more than one qualifying place.

If a 20 player open gets one place, perhaps a 60 player event should get two, and a 100 player event three.

Taking Sunningdale as an example, a 2283 qualified, but a 2194 and a 2164 and a 2147 all missed out on tie break. I am sure that none of these players would have disgraced themselves in the British. Lots of players miss out at e2e4 events when much weaker players qualify elsewhere.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 pm

The Norwegian perspective

http://sjakkselskapet.no/2011/05/31/sunningdale-open/

Use google translate!

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote: I would have dearly loved to take on Mr Bryant in such form mind you. :D
Gatwick?

[warning: form can go down as well as up]
I've decided I prefer opens to majors so even if I did enter I fear we wouldn't meet. I'm sure our pathes will cross at some point however :)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:The Norwegian perspective

http://sjakkselskapet.no/2011/05/31/sunningdale-open/

Use google translate!
Some interesting translation from Google there:

"In 3.runde I got a superior position against a player of 2220. Therefore, I allowed myself to refuse the offer of his remission. I should not done. I played the inaccuracy in the time distress and had to finally give a paw."

Next time I resign, I will offer someone my "paw"! :)

I never knew Sunningdale had a heated swimming pool.

Matthew Lunn

Post by Matthew Lunn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 am

I have to say I was really impressed with my first e2e4 tournament! Sean and David did a superb job organizing and arbiting and I suspect these are the only tournaments that could tempt me back into weekenders!

Bit of a random one - I see the games for the Sunningdale Major (and indeed the Open) have already been sent in for rating, but the Major results seem to be missing the last round. For instance Jonathan Bryant's TPR doesn't include our last round draw.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Matthew Lunn wrote:Bit of a random one - I see the games for the Sunningdale Major (and indeed the Open) have already been sent in for rating, but the Major results seem to be missing the last round. For instance Jonathan Bryant's TPR doesn't include our last round draw.
I just noticed this as well. My last round was a loss, so I was pondering whether to mention it or not... :)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 pm

I noticed it half an hour ago. And I have to put my hands up and say it is entirely my fault.

The FIDE rating report I produced did not include round 7 because I forgot to 'end' round 7 in the software. I've checked the Open (and Minor, though that's not submitted) and they were fine.

I've fixed it now and re-submitted it so I guess it will be corrected on the FIDE website in the next 24 hours. Apologies for any inconvenience.

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Any comment from anyone re how successful the in Tournament training was for the Juniors and Females ?
I spotted Jovanka and Sabrina walking (and hobbling :) around paying keen attention to their students.....Im very interested in how one gets to keep good youngsters interested in the game .

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:50 pm

David Grobler wrote:Any comment from anyone re how successful the in Tournament training was for the Juniors and Females ?
I spotted Jovanka and Sabrina walking (and hobbling :) around paying keen attention to their students.....Im very interested in how one gets to keep good youngsters interested in the game .
I thought about this during the tournament. For some rounds (I blame Christopher K) there was less than 25mins between the draw going up and the next round. It can't have left the 'trainers' with much time to prep their students. So I'm guessing much of the work done was post game analysis?

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
David Grobler wrote:Any comment from anyone re how successful the in Tournament training was for the Juniors and Females ?
I thought about this during the tournament. For some rounds (I blame Christopher K) there was less than 25mins between the draw going up and the next round. It can't have left the 'trainers' with much time to prep their students. So I'm guessing much of the work done was post game analysis?
Well...maybe not always....cos the youngsters tended to finish their games quickly whilst I was still in my opening preparation (sometimes as deep as move 4) .
I ask just out of interest....how many signed up for the coaching ?...was it a success?....did Jovanka for example get allocated say 4 students?...any feed back from them as to it being money well spent?
I read the blurb on Sabrinas web page...and it seemed like a winner to me....oh....to be young again :)