Title of International Organiser (IO)

The very latest International round up of English news.
LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Tuesday, 14 June 2011 07:45

The Presidential Board in Al Ain accepted the recommendations of the Events Commission concerning the title of International Organiser. With effect from 1 January 2012, the title of IO shall not be awarded directly upon application. Instead, candidates will be required to attend seminars and to pass the examination. Successful candidates will be awarded the title upon payment of title fee and licence fee (3-years) similar to the systems already in place for trainers.

FIDE urges all national federations to apply for the title for their organisers with the application fee or confirmation that they accept to pay if the title is granted. The deadline shall be 20th July 2011 after which late penalty shall be imposed.

After the Krakow Congress, no direct application shall be accepted.

Ignatius Leong
Chairman, Events Commission
http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... er-io.html

Alex Holowczak

Re: Title of International Organiser (IO)

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:47 pm

If I had the skills to organise a tournament, I don't see why I'd be qualified to do it for 3 years, but then after 3 years and 1 day, I'd suddenly become incapable? It seems I'd only become capable with a financial investment, which when I last checked, wasn't something that was proportionate to the skill of organising chess tournaments.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:50 pm

There'll be asking us to re-apply for playing titles next :roll:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 pm

LozCooper wrote:There'll be asking us to re-apply for playing titles next :roll:
If anything, reapplying for playing and arbiter titles seems more sensible, because you might get worse or the Laws might change. Organising a chess tournament seems a pretty constant skill though.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
LozCooper wrote:There'll be asking us to re-apply for playing titles next :roll:
If anything, reapplying for playing and arbiter titles seems more sensible, because you might get worse or the Laws might change. Organising a chess tournament seems a pretty constant skill though.
Agreed, especially in my case :cry:

I suspect it's primarily a money making scheme albeit they will point to other factors such as ensuring organisers maintain standards etc

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:17 pm

I presume those of us fortunate enough (if that's the right word) to have the IO title already will keep it in perpetuity and that this only applies to new titles?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:18 pm

LozCooper wrote:I suspect it's primarily a money making scheme albeit they will point to other factors such as ensuring organisers maintain standards etc
I can see a lot of value in the test. The current IO qualification doesn't cater for any ability. I just don't see why you need to re-apply. I interpret this to mean that you don't have to resit the test, but you do have to pay FIDE to keep the title.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:35 pm

The message seems to be that if you don't want to have to attend a seminar get your application in by the 20th July 2011 and commit to paying the fee if you are successful.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:42 pm

This has been sprung on us with no warning at all and a lot of the details are still far from clear. As well as posting in this thread, I'm involved in some private correspondence.

Sean Hewitt wrote:I presume those of us fortunate enough (if that's the right word) to have the IO title already will keep it in perpetuity and that this only applies to new titles?
At present we already have a distinction between active and inactive players and arbiters. I'm not sure whether this currently applies to International Organisers.

My guess is that everyone who has the title will keep it, but only those who have paid the current licence fee will be considered active. I imagine the same will apply to the International Arbiter and FIDE Arbiter titles.

I have no enthusiasm for having to pay FIDE every three years, but I don't think I can see any objection to the principle. In most professions, you have to pay an annual subscription to the awarding body and undertake continuing professional development if you wish to continue to operate as a qualified member of that profession.

If English holders of playing titles wish to remain active in England, they have to pay money annually to the ECF. It's called the membership subscription.

Alex Holowczak wrote:
I don't agree with that at all. The necessary skills are constantly changing.

For example, in 2011 you have to concern yourself with arranging prompt transition of results and almost equally swift games inputting. That wasn't something that was expected even a few years ago.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:19 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:My guess is that everyone who has the title will keep it, but only those who have paid the current licence fee will be considered active.
Unless it affects ratings and norms, are players going to be in the least interested whether the organiser has a title or not? Events and individuals within events can establish good and bad reputations, but that's not dependent on titles.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: My guess is that everyone who has the title will keep it, but only those who have paid the current licence fee will be considered active. I imagine the same will apply to the International Arbiter and FIDE Arbiter titles.

I have no enthusiasm for having to pay FIDE every three years, but I don't think I can see any objection to the principle. In most professions, you have to pay an annual subscription to the awarding body and undertake continuing professional development if you wish to continue to operate as a qualified member of that profession.
The only objection that I can see is that that was not the deal when one applied for the title - i.e. it was applied for and awarded on the basis of the payment of a one off fee.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: My guess is that everyone who has the title will keep it, but only those who have paid the current licence fee will be considered active. I imagine the same will apply to the International Arbiter and FIDE Arbiter titles.

The only objection that I can see is that that was not the deal when one applied for the title - i.e. it was applied for and awarded on the basis of the payment of a one off fee.
So what is the reason for the change, then? Money to cover administration or money to cover retraining?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:So what is the reason for the change, then? Money to cover administration or money to cover retraining?
My guess is just money!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:This has been sprung on us with no warning at all and a lot of the details are still far from clear. As well as posting in this thread, I'm involved in some private correspondence.

Sean Hewitt wrote:I presume those of us fortunate enough (if that's the right word) to have the IO title already will keep it in perpetuity and that this only applies to new titles?
At present we already have a distinction between active and inactive players and arbiters. I'm not sure whether this currently applies to International Organisers.

My guess is that everyone who has the title will keep it, but only those who have paid the current licence fee will be considered active. I imagine the same will apply to the International Arbiter and FIDE Arbiter titles.

If English holders of playing titles wish to remain active in England, they have to pay money annually to the ECF. It's called the membership subscription.

Alex Holowczak wrote:
I don't agree with that at all. The necessary skills are constantly changing.

For example, in 2011 you have to concern yourself with arranging prompt transition of results and almost equally swift games inputting. That wasn't something that was expected even a few years ago.
I don't disagree with the principle that organisers and arbiters should be trained, refreshed and up to date etc but I'm less sure that attending a seminar and spending a lot of money on flights & accommodation etc would be more beneficial than working alongside fellow arbiters and organisers in this country or at an event abroad. That is why I can't help feeling it is another FIDE money spinner.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:So what is the reason for the change, then? Money to cover administration or money to cover retraining?
My guess is just money!
As long as it doesn't affect entry fees...