International Round Up 26/7/11

The very latest International round up of English news.
LozCooper

Re: International Round Up 26/7/11

Post by LozCooper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:Gens Una Sumus

But, even if you wanted to be parochial, super-strong foreign juniors mixing with our own juniors improves our standards.
I also think that the friendly rivalry that Yang-Fan and Felix had was good for both of them. He certainly wasn't viewed as foreign by those who were part of junior trips abroad with him and having been part of the English junior scene since around the age of 10 or 11 he was a very popular part of it.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:26 am

LozCooper wrote:
Paul Cooksey wrote:Gens Una Sumus

But, even if you wanted to be parochial, super-strong foreign juniors mixing with our own juniors improves our standards.
I also think that the friendly rivalry that Yang-Fan and Felix had was good for both of them. He certainly wasn't viewed as foreign by those who were part of junior trips abroad with him and having been part of the English junior scene since around the age of 10 or 11 he was a very popular part of it.
Loz is preaching to the choir, Felix was local to me. But even a misanthropic non-ENG strong junior playing regularly with our juniors would be welcome for me :)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 am

Lawrence Cooper wrote
"The reality is rather different. The family only returned to Venezuela when the father lost his job and they couldn't afford to stay in the country. Had that not happened they would still be here and contributing to England chess by being ECF members and paying entry fees whenever they played. His sister, Angelica, hasn't yet transferred but that may be down to finance. There was also a younger brother that played as well. I'm still in contact with the family and I know Felix would love to still be living over here and part of the junior squad but sadly events out of his control meant it was no longer possible.

They lived here for four years and whilst you may consider them foreign they were very popular with the people who were lucky enough to get to know them."

I absolutely agree

Lawrence Cooper also wrote
"I also think that the friendly rivalry that Yang-Fan and Felix had was good for both of them."

This I am less clear about. The ECF selection process meant Felix and Yang-Fan were usually playing in different age groups. I also note that Yang-Fan's rapid improvement coincided with Felix's return to venezula. Although I think these events are completely unrelated, I think it is tough to agrue that Felix brought Yang-Fan on.
Perhaps a better question is What effect has Felix's presence in England had on Brandon Clarke? I don't know the answer to this one. However, if we conclude that it is a very positive then perhaps we have to consider whether preventing commonwealth player from playing at the British was really the best thing to do.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 am

It's interesting that people are using the phrase that I "consider him foreign". He is foreign- he was born in Venezuela. I'm not surprised that people who coach juniors, or may be interested in having a strong 'England junior team' are unhappy about him 'changing his nationality', but I'm sure plenty of English juniors and parents of juniors would be happy as it increases their own or their sons' chances of selection. Of course, it might not be 'polite' or 'politically correct' to do so, but many of them will think that, even if they're shy in expressing it.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Englishness is not a binary quality. I don't particularly consider myself English, even though I was born here, have lived here all my life and play under the ENG flag. I consider myself a Trinidadian who happens to have all those qualities.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:28 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Englishness is not a binary quality. I don't particularly consider myself English, even though I was born here, have lived here all my life and play under the ENG flag. I consider myself a Trinidadian who happens to have all those qualities.
http://www.britishchess2011.com/2009/le ... nts_09.htm

"Jack is one of our most active IMs. He could have played for Trinidad (having been born there) and would have strengthened their team considerably, but there was little interest expressed."

Never knew that!

I presume that this year was only a photo list, and no similar mini-bios:

http://www.britishchess2011.com/british ... s_2011.htm

EDIT: Just noticed that there is a contradiction between the 2009 mini-bio and what you (Jack) said above. Luckily you are not the US President! :)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:00 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Englishness is not a binary quality. I don't particularly consider myself English, even though I was born here, have lived here all my life and play under the ENG flag. I consider myself a Trinidadian who happens to have all those qualities.
"Jack was born in a barn. That doesn't make him a horse" sort of thing?

Out of interest, was Felix or his family actually given money as has been stated? Actual cash as opposed to being given a service (taking part in training sessions or whatnot) I mean. Seems unlikely to me, but then I'm not involved in junior chess in any way.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread but the Chess Scotland noticeboard is not working at the moment.

I see FM Alan Tate is on 4.5/6 in the Czech Open.

According to my calculations he needs 1.5/3 from his remaining games if his opponents in rounds 8 and 9 average 2515 or 2/3 if they average 2330 for his second GM norm.

( For his last IM norm I reckon he needs 0.5/3 if his opponents in the last 2 rounds average 2261 or even 0/3 if his opponents average 2454 )

As far as I can see he has already met the other requirements #title holders,#rated,#fed etc

Anybody care to confirm my calculations?

Ian Jamieson

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Lawrence Cooper wrote
"The reality is rather different. The family only returned to Venezuela when the father lost his job and they couldn't afford to stay in the country. Had that not happened they would still be here and contributing to England chess by being ECF members and paying entry fees whenever they played. His sister, Angelica, hasn't yet transferred but that may be down to finance. There was also a younger brother that played as well. I'm still in contact with the family and I know Felix would love to still be living over here and part of the junior squad but sadly events out of his control meant it was no longer possible.

They lived here for four years and whilst you may consider them foreign they were very popular with the people who were lucky enough to get to know them."

I absolutely agree

Lawrence Cooper also wrote
"I also think that the friendly rivalry that Yang-Fan and Felix had was good for both of them."

This I am less clear about. The ECF selection process meant Felix and Yang-Fan were usually playing in different age groups. I also note that Yang-Fan's rapid improvement coincided with Felix's return to venezula. Although I think these events are completely unrelated, I think it is tough to agrue that Felix brought Yang-Fan on.
Perhaps a better question is What effect has Felix's presence in England had on Brandon Clarke? I don't know the answer to this one. However, if we conclude that it is a very positive then perhaps we have to consider whether preventing commonwealth player from playing at the British was really the best thing to do.
Perhaps rivalry is the wrong word but they tended to be the two English juniors on high boards and plus scores in World Youth type events which I think created some healthy competition to see who could score the most points.

The effect on other juniors behind Felix is a downside to the policy of tending to only send one player per age-group.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:It's interesting that people are using the phrase that I "consider him foreign". He is foreign- he was born in Venezuela. I'm not surprised that people who coach juniors, or may be interested in having a strong 'England junior team' are unhappy about him 'changing his nationality', but I'm sure plenty of English juniors and parents of juniors would be happy as it increases their own or their sons' chances of selection. Of course, it might not be 'polite' or 'politically correct' to do so, but many of them will think that, even if they're shy in expressing it.
To you he is foreign, but to the people making decisions on English junior chess he was English and the latter currently carry more weight. Had he not moved back to Venezuela and continued his education he would have continued to be available to play for England.

On the point of selection that is a consequence of sending only one child per age-group.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:He is foreign- he was born in Venezuela.
That's a terribly narrow-minded view.

Suppose I had two Canadian parents, but they relocated to live in New York. I was then born a few years later. Does that make me American or Canadian?

Officially, the child would have American citizen by birth, but of course, I could change his nationality to become Canadian at any time I liked. I could possibly even have dual citizenship!

Presumably Felix remained a Venezuelan citizen, because the five-year residence period hadn't yet come to pass. Had he been here another year, then he would probably have been granted British citizenship. If he had aspired to come to a British university, there would be obvious financial advantages for him to do so. So officially, he'd have been a British citizen. Does that mean he isn't in any way Venezuelan?

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Ian Jamieson wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread but the Chess Scotland noticeboard is not working at the moment.

I see FM Alan Tate is on 4.5/6 in the Czech Open.

According to my calculations he needs 1.5/3 from his remaining games if his opponents in rounds 8 and 9 average 2515 or 2/3 if they average 2330 for his second GM norm.

( For his last IM norm I reckon he needs 0.5/3 if his opponents in the last 2 rounds average 2261 or even 0/3 if his opponents average 2454 )

As far as I can see he has already met the other requirements #title holders,#rated,#fed etc

Anybody care to confirm my calculations?

Ian Jamieson
Ian - I agree your calcs :) Unfortunately, it took me so long that by the time I'd worked out what to do Alan had lost :(

I think this now means:

1.5/2 with a 2554 in round 9, or 2/2 with anyone for the GM norm

0/2 with a 2433 in round 9, or 0.5/2 with anyone for the IM norm.

I think Andy's stuck another half-crown in the meter so the CS noticeboard is back up - we can continue the discussion there... :lol:

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:38 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Grandmaster David Norwood, who now represents Andorra

That is rather interesting. How and why has that happened?
Shame I didn't have the opportunity to say this at the time. But RTK saw this coming!

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 am

European Youth Championships, Bulgaia
The Scotland Team has been posted on their forum:-
U12 Girl Milton Anna
U12 Girl Espinosa Monica
U14 Girl Espinosa Cristina
U16 Girl Roy Ali
U10 Boy Pannwitz Kai
U12 Boy Abdulla Murad
U12 Boy Underwood James Robert
U14 Boy Milton Carl
U16 Boy McClement Andrew Iain
U18 Boy Olson Hamish
Coach Tate Alan
Head of Delegation Moore Robin

Does anyone know the youngsters to represent England?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Peter Turner wrote: Does anyone know the youngsters to represent England?
The chess-results server has the entry lists

http://www.chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=BUL