Cheating Scandal at the Botvinnik Memorial Open

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Cheating Scandal at the Botvinnik Memorial Open

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Yes, that's just a normal Fried Liver position which Black should never knowingly get into. In my sub-150 days I had a 20/20 record with White after 6. Nxf7. A few strong players told me that 6. d4 (the Lolli Attack) was even better, but I never bothered to look at it because the Fried Liver worked so well for me.
At what level do people know the trick of playing 5 ..Na5 (or even the more exotic fifth move variations)? You'd think if they did any sort of review of their games, they would only fall for 6 Nxf7 once. Alternatively if they were going to allow it, they would book up on lines that almost allow Black to survive and win.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Adam Ashton wrote:I'm sorry but I have great sympathy with the people he played in those early rounds. Of course the players are affected even if it doesn't end up rated(Norm chances gone for a start). Given the effort and expense people put into chess I don't really see the funny side.
I have to agree with Adam. This behaviour potentially impinges on livelihoods. Very little clemency should be shown.

The Two Knights Defence game (sic) illustrates that Sergey Klimentiev is incapable of quite simple calculations. I refuse to believe he could defeat an IM in a simple position, which allegedly he managed.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Adam Ashton wrote:I'm sorry but I have great sympathy with the people he played in those early rounds. Of course the players are affected even if it doesn't end up rated(Norm chances gone for a start). Given the effort and expense people put into chess I don't really see the funny side.
I don't know how you expect to get a norm playing sub 1700 players. As an aside, for years I have seen tournaments ruined by so called ungraded players winning them with ease. Not bad for players with absolutely no grade at all. Nothing is ever done about it. On that basis, I suppose a sub 1700 should be expected to beat GM's. :)

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:I don't know how you expect to get a norm playing sub 1700 players.
But surely the problem here wasn't that they were playing a 1700, but that the 1700 was playing at 2200+ (for whatever reason)?

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Maybe he was just really missing his lucky pen and briefcase.

And transmitter.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Coming late to this thread, but going back to the Feller incident, here is what he had to say recently at the World Cup:

http://chess.ugrasport.com/?p=1574

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Coming late to this thread, but going back to the Feller incident, here is what he had to say recently at the World Cup:
If he is innocent, no-one will ever trust him until he can explain why a player who sometimes works with him as a second was texting his mobile phone whilst play was in progress. It's becoming part of etiquette that you don't phone or text someone when they are in play, if for no better reason than they might not have their phone switched off. For that matter, what was the French team captain doing with phones that were switched on whilst play was in progress and he was still at, if not in, the venue.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:For that matter, what was the French team captain doing with phones that were switched on whilst play was in progress and he was still at, if not in, the venue.
I don't find that point very convincing. I can think of many reasons why a team captain might wish to leave the playing area while play is in progress and make or receive a phone call elsewhere in the venue.

Yes, I know that it's a breach of Article 13.7.b of the Laws. That doesn't make it cheating.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I don't find that point very convincing. I can think of many reasons why a team captain might wish to leave the playing area while play is in progress and make or receive a phone call elsewhere in the venue.
But receiving alleged strangely coded text messages from a second of one of the players? Odd to say the least. The FFE claims to have seen the messages even if it cannot use them directly in evidence.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Back at the Botvinnik memorial, it appears the guys tournament was rated, along with a couple of other monstrous results, gaining him a cool 220 points on the latest list.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi

Has anybody considered the possibilty that Sergey Klimentiev's grade is correct and
the rest of the players, that is all of the players, were vastly over-rated by about 500 points.

Then his reuslts do not look too out of place.

"(or even the more exotic fifth move variations)"

A blitz weapon is 5...Nd4 (Fritz - named after the player, not the computer game).

Lost count of the games I've won with this very order of moves.
Have more than 20 examples of it in net C.C. play -1400 v -1400 players.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 d5 5. exd5 Nd4

Now the juicy looking 6.d6 is a blunder.

6. d6 Qxd6 7. Nxf7 Qc6 8. Nxh8 Qxg2 9. Rf1 Qe4+ 10. Be2 Nf3 mate.

A mate whose roots lay in the Blackburne Shilling Trap.

BTW the Chess Scotland site has had a re-vamp which includes
a game moving PGN thingy thing.

There are some very clever players on here. (as there are there).
Be good to see some of their games with fresh notes instead of going to a site,
finding where they hide the PGN's and downloading a bare score.

Come on Carl, traps to be shown and brains to be picked.

(your'e a whizzo at these things. Can you not just somehow suck across
their entire site, ditch this one and change the names? )

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:10 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:BTW the Chess Scotland site has had a re-vamp which includes
a game moving PGN thingy thing.
http://code.google.com/p/pgn4web/wiki/User_Notes_phpBB

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 pm

This makes Hawkins' or Yang-Fang Zhou's progress look positively pedestrian

http://ratings.fide.com/id.phtml?event=24155896

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:32 pm

This player's progress is, I think, more impressive than Hawkins' or Zhou's. I had the misfortune to be paired against him twice in 8 days.

I scored 1.5/2 against him for a loss of 0.9 rating points. He scored 0.5/2 for a loss of 2.4 rating points. Your challenge, without cheating by looking at the FIDE website, is to explain how both players can end up losing points.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: I scored 1.5/2 against him for a loss of 0.9 rating points. He scored 0.5/2 for a loss of 2.4 rating points. Your challenge, without cheating by looking at the FIDE website, is to explain how both players can end up losing points.
His K factor was 25, or 30, or whatever it is these days, when you beat him. It had fallen to 15 by the time you drew with him.