England teams for 2011 European Team Championship

The very latest International round up of English news.
LozCooper

Re: England teams for 2011 European Team Championship

Post by LozCooper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:20 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: Get Sadler to turn up and we have one hell of a side?
In the November issue of "Chess" page 17, he seems to indicate his availability for next year's Olympiad.

The dates of the 2014 Olympiad in Tromso are already known and may give the organisers of the 2014 British a problem.

Are the dates of the 2012 Olympiad known, even approximately?
27th August - 12th September

The dates have already been circulated to the players, Matthew included.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:19 am

I think the result is very positive. Micky Adams proving that he still has got it and Gawain(whos working hard on his chess) performing well. i really do not see your negatives so much Mark Howitt. Without Gawain, Howell , Sadler , Mcshane hitting near 2700 , we are always big underdogs to get anything near a medal. I think both England sides had tough tough pairings and did fine. All this crap about it being linked to membership fees is a joke, the membership fees don't pay for this area. It is fine to be upset about membership fees, lots of my team are upset as they play so little but I cannot see any link to this thread in that.

I think if we have Adams, Short, Sadler, Mcshane, Gawain , Howell and they are at 2720,2700,2680+,2650+,2650+,2600+ in the next olympiad, and they play well then we can finish top 10, maybe even blag a medal. You have to remember that excluding "the big 3" , USA, China and India. Almost all the other powerhouses and the top 4 teams subjectively(Russia, Ukraine,Aze,Arm) all come from Europe. One could argue that with Gelfand , Israel are stronger than Usa and India.

I think your negativity shows a complete lack of understanding or ability to want to understand how just a tiny off tournament can go from a 2600 perf to a 2400 perf etc. I have had many days as a crappy 2100 where i have a TRP of <1900, no one gets on my back , why should we get on howell's. He is by far deserving of his place in the team , everyone has a bad tournament, he has had terrible set backs before, like the last round of U20's , but always comes back.

This is me being nice Mr Howitt, you have little to do with chess, you try and pdf crap all over the forum and you never have anything nice to say.

How about you start actually highlighting the positives then the negatives you talk of might even be read or looked at by most.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Mark Howitt writes,

'Only when you can be objective about your weaknesses can you improve.'

I see irony is not one of his few strengths.

Perhaps he could tell us how he managed to improve from ECF 74 to 111 in less than five years. I'm sure the England squad would have a lot to learn from his example.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Since people are so interested in what I say I'll sum up my views of the England teams in two words.

Women's team: shameful.

Men's team: disappointing.

I am not a chess player. However, feel free to judge me at the end of my life on what I've achieved.

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Since people are so interested in what I say I'll sum up my views of the England teams in two words.

I am not a chess player. However, feel free to judge me at the end of my life on what I've achieved.
Your'e right - you are not a chess player :D

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Considering that Mr Howitt seems to dislike chess and those who play it, and continually tells us all how much better poker is anyway, why does he bother?? :?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Ola Winfridsson

Post by Ola Winfridsson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:21 pm

I can only second Ben's posting on Mr Howitt's and the "shameful" and "disappointing" performances of the England team.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:30 pm

I doubt that it's worth giving the non-chessplaying Mr Howitt any more space but for what's it's worth, I rather object to being called a lemming and a sheep. I have been playing and captaining chess teams for near on 40 years - and he obviously hasn't met me if he thinks I was bullied at school!

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Since people are so interested in what I say I'll sum up my views of the England teams in two words.

Out of curiosity, a naive question: as a self proclaimed "non chess player", why are you hanging around so often in a chess players forum?

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Stephen Fry on Internet Trolls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgGxk8xFgAE

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:04 pm

One thing Mark Howitt's posts have done is distract from any real post-mortem. Were there elements where the two England teams could have improved or changed their strategies? Were there critical matches or games that made a big difference? One of the things that is incredibly difficult is to get all players in a team on form at the same time. Are there ways to train and prepare to encourage this sort of thing?