England teams for 2011 European Team Championship

The very latest International round up of English news.
Paul Cooksey

Re: England teams for 2011 European Team Championship

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Those who think Chessbase are prone to hyperbole have much to fear over the next few days! But I wouldn't blame the Germans celebrating a fantastic result.

I think Germany have shown there is hope of winning, for a team of England's standard, if all their players are in form. Of course not the case for us this time, but at least the teams had some good individual performances and Adams' magnificent result.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 pm

benedgell wrote:I'd like to thank Loz for all the great work he's done as England captain over the last few years.
hear, hear

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:51 pm

benedgell wrote:"We face second seeds Ukraine in the final round that will be my last match as England captain." Quoted from the ECF site, Loz's round 7/8 report.

I'd like to thank Loz for all the great work he's done as England captain over the last few years.
Hear, hear. (And thanks, Ben, for pointing this out)

I should read the ECF website reports more often, but when I went there I saw this:

"The final round of the Word Team Chess Championships roars on"

Word? World? European? :roll:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:I think Germany have shown there is hope of winning, for a team of England's standard, if all their players are in form. Of course not the case for us this time, but at least the teams had some good individual performances and Adams' magnificent result.
Netherlands won this event in 2005 with the same format; albeit fewer of the stars for the top nations were playing. I think matchpoints makes it far more open than gamepoints.

They certainly justified any fees they were getting paid after last year's Olympiad debacle! :lol:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:00 pm

benedgell wrote:"We face second seeds Ukraine in the final round that will be my last match as England captain." Quoted from the ECF site, Loz's round 7/8 report.

I'd like to thank Loz for all the great work he's done as England captain over the last few years.
Absolutely
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: Netherlands won this event in 2005 with the same format; albeit fewer of the stars for the top nations were playing.
This year's event does seem to have attracted more of the top players. Other than the relative attractions of an out of season Greek holiday resort, there don't seem any obvious reasons. Perhaps the schedule coincided with what would have been a gap in top events.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Lawrence has done a huge amount- and probably spent a lot of his own money. So for all you say Mark Howitt, what have you done - Oh I seem to have been here before, you muppet. Shame on you.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Board medal lists here:
http://euro2011.chessdom.com/board-list-after-round-9/

Dagne finished 4th, as did Gawain

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Norms here;
http://euro2011.chessdom.com/internatio ... -achieved/

Scotland's Tate and Morrison get IM norms, well done to both

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:32 pm

You know, some people are so much like lemmings.

Or pathetic little sheep, who think it's 'cool' to 'gang up' on someone- probably due to surpressed rage at being bullied for being part of the chess club at school.

Tomorrow I'm going to schedule in some time to write a non sheepish account of why I think England should be ashamed of this performance. Only when you can be objective about your weaknesses can you improve.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Congratulations to Germany, and to Adams on his individual result. It's a pity the team results weren't a bit higher, but you can't win them all.

Many thanks to Loz for his excellent work as England captain, and good luck to whomever his successor may be. Perhaps whoever it is should pick Mark Howitt for the next tournament, so all the rest of us can write about how shameful his performance is.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:You know, some people are so much like lemmings.

Or pathetic little sheep, who think it's 'cool' to 'gang up' on someone- probably due to surpressed rage at being bullied for being part of the chess club at school.

Tomorrow I'm going to schedule in some time to write a non sheepish account of why I think England should be ashamed of this performance. Only when you can be objective about your weaknesses can you improve.
And some people are trolls. Do not feed the trolls! :roll:

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:You know, some people are so much like lemmings.
Lemmings do not commit suicide, an old myth. Some England players may have recently, Lemmings hide in holes...

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to schedule in some time to write a non sheepish account of why I think England should be ashamed of this performance. Only when you can be objective about your weaknesses can you improve.
A tad harsh, clearly Howell had a stinker but that about sums it all up doesn't it?

Get Sadler to turn up and we have one hell of a side?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:12 am

Carl Hibbard wrote: Get Sadler to turn up and we have one hell of a side?
In the November issue of "Chess" page 17, he seems to indicate his availability for next year's Olympiad.

The dates of the 2014 Olympiad in Tromso are already known and may give the organisers of the 2014 British a problem.

Are the dates of the 2012 Olympiad known, even approximately?