Rethymno Chess, 2012

The very latest International round up of English news.
Alexander Hardwick

Rethymno Chess, 2012

Post by Alexander Hardwick » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:49 am

Does anyone know the dates/schedule for the Rethymno International Open chess tournament, 2012? I can't find this tournament on any online calendars, and the website which I have found is still showing the details of the tournament in 2011. Or has the tournament been discontinued for economic reasons?

LawrenceCooper

Re: Rethymno Chess, 2012

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Alexander Hardwick wrote:Does anyone know the dates/schedule for the Rethymno International Open chess tournament, 2012? I can't find this tournament on any online calendars, and the website which I have found is still showing the details of the tournament in 2011. Or has the tournament been discontinued for economic reasons?
I've e-mailed the organisers via the e-mail addresses on the website and will let you know if/when they respond.

Lawrence

PS [email protected] no longer works so I'm pinning my hopes on a reply from [email protected]

abi&timadams

Post by abi&timadams » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 pm

We have been to Rethymno the last two years, and Tim played in the tournament, which he thoroughly enjoyed. The venue downstairs is the main playing area, and can be cramped and very warm, while the upstairs where the lower boards usually play is both cooler and more spacious. Free cooled water is always available, as are the paramedics. The playing hall is in the middle of the old town, very close to lots of cafes and restaurants, and everyone we have met has never failed to be polite and friendly.

Last year we were warned that funding was not a certainty for this year and we have been trying to discover whether it is on for 2012 ourselves with no success. Paul Townsend is a regular too and we all play in the August Heraklion tournament. Paleochora on the south of the island is another chess event; it usually follows Rethymno and there is a bus to take competitors there from outside the Ideon hotel.

There are plenty of excellent places to stay, such as the Aquila Porto, and nearer to the venue are the very impressive suites of the Casa Vitae, a surprising and unique alternative to the hotels. Please ask if you would like to know anything further about the tournament or accommodation.

Let's hope it's on!

Regards

Abi&Tim

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Alexander Hardwick wrote:Does anyone know the dates/schedule for the Rethymno International Open chess tournament, 2012? I can't find this tournament on any online calendars, and the website which I have found is still showing the details of the tournament in 2011. Or has the tournament been discontinued for economic reasons?
In answer to your question I've had a response from the organiser:

Thank you very much for your e-mail and interest about Rethymno Open chess tournament 2012.
The most probably dates of the tournament will be 7th till 14th of July 2012.
The schedule is not announced yet (I believe it will be ready after a week), I shall inform you further.
It will be nice to welcome you this summer in Rethymno for our tournament!

Best regards,
Anelia Tsaroucha
[email protected]

abi&timadams

Post by abi&timadams » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm

That's good news! Thank you for contacting the organisers, much appreciated. With the flight departures in the North-East booking for two weeks is the logical choice, and of course the hotels are not much more than for one if you have the time. We will wait patiently (!) for the schedule to be announced. Thanks again.

Abi&Tim

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 pm

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:59 am

Rethymno and Paleochora Open chess tournaments, CRETE 2012

Dear chess friends, Crete Island gives you the opportunity to combine chess with a few days relaxing holidays, enjoying the sun and clear blue sea! Weʼll be very happy to welcome you this summer in Crete for both of the tournaments we organize!

Rethymno International chess tournament: 7-14 July 2012
Web: www.rethymnochess.gr, e-mail: [email protected]

Paleochora International chess tournament: 16-23 July 2012
Web: www.chaniachess.gr, e-mail: [email protected]

The tournaments will be enriched with many parallel events:

Free excursion by boat to amazing Elafonisi beach and daily bus trips to beautiful beaches (Paleochora); Music event (Rethymno);
Blitz tournament;
Chess lecture and lessons with a GM;
Simultaneous with a GM

With best regards from Greece,
For the organizers, Tsarouha Anelia Contact: mobile 00306974811469
E-mail: [email protected]

abi&timadams

Post by abi&timadams » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:22 am

Could anyone please find out whether the Rethymnon Chess Tournament, Crete, is on in July 2013.

We were assured that it was on in an email in January but there doesn't seem anything on the net (the usual website hasn't been updated and there is no info on FIDE and elsewhere as far as I can tell). I have sent emails to, [email protected] and [email protected] as indicated, but the latter comes back as a Mailer Daemon. Previously, it had been advertised from late January.

Also, Paleochora Chess Tournament, 19th to 26th July 2013 seems to be on and is advertised on the FIDE site, but the website has only been updated by date and not by information or participants. We thought both tournaments were organised by the same team, so wish to find out definitely as we want to book.

All the best, Tim