The attached letter may be of interest to any students who wish to represent Great Britain at chess in the 2012 World University Chess Championship in Portugal, and the 2013 Universiade in Kazan.
The two pertinent issues seem to be:
(1) Chess will not provide enough financially for BUCS relative to other sports on their programme. Even though the trip would be largely self-funded (i.e. the players going pay the bulk, with minimal contributions from things like the Friends of Chess and John Robinson Trust), and BUCS would be providing no money to us directly, this is not the point.
(2) One critieron used for selecting which sports can send teams to these events is having a BUCS League. We can't have a BUCS League, because Sport England do not recognise chess as a sport.
Until we can compete commercially with other sports, and have recognitition as a sport from Sport England (or BUCS change their policy!), there is no prospect of students playing in these competitions for Great Britain.
The very latest International round up of English news.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 7403
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- BUCS Letter.pdf
- (563.55 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests