Tata Steel (Wijk aan Zee) 2012

The very latest International round up of English news.
Sebastian Stone

Re: Tata Steel (Wijk aan Zee) 2012

Post by Sebastian Stone » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:55 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
AustinElliott wrote:Any endgame gurus care to offer a view on Van Wely vs Carlsen (move 35?). The traditional patzer view of opposite coloured Bs would say a draw, despite Carlsen's two extra (doubled a-) pawns.. but interested to hear what the cognoscenti think.
Not much of an endgame guru here, but I'd bet on a black win. The fact that the doubled a-pawns are passed makes it much harder to defend.
After 40. fxg5 then whites king scoots over to a1 and even if black gets the g pawn is still looks totally drawn.

I could be totally wrong here. :wink:
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 pm

And Van W and Carlsen have agreed a draw.

[Presumably if the White K reaches on the Q-side to blockade the a-pawns, as Sebastian says, then White can just run the BIshop up and down the f4-b8 diagonal to protect the g3 pawn, and Black can't do anything.]

I see the result makes Van Wely's record for the tournament + 0 - 2 and eleven (!) draws.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:12 pm

So that leaves Aronian 1st on 9, and Radjabov & Carlsen joint 2nd on 8, with Caruana having a chance to join them if he can grind down Gelfand.

Though the Houdini read-out on the tournament live site thinks Caruana just dissipated most of his advantage by playing 30 Qf2

EDIT: A monumental time scramble appears to be in prospect in Grover-Sadler as both players are down to 6 min for 20 moves.

..down below FOUR min for Sadler, who is thinking about his 21st move.

..and now showing over SIX minutes again??!

All rather odd.

ANOTHER EDIT: And now showing THIRTEEN minutes.... WT*?