Cappelle International 2012

The very latest International round up of English news.
John McKenna

Re: Cappelle International 2012

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Best wishes to all for tomorrow, Peter.
Noticed that I misread the pairings this morning. Bauer and Kurnosov played on adjacent boards. The former drawing and the latter winning.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:57 am

Good morning John
I'm afraid that Bauer's valiant attempt to score 7/7 has failed and I think with the two missed rounds the tie-break system will place him at the bottom of his score group. We haven't discussed norm chances with Sam, I'm sure he will know the situation. I'm sitting near Sam & Neil going through some preparation, I've just overheard them looking at a line which lead to a draw. Sam's comment was, "Do I need a draw .... !?" I think he knows a win would be very useful.
Regards
Peter

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:12 am

I've just checked the tie-break rules, see below:-
Ties are resolved first by the truncated buchholz (sum of adjusted scores of opponents minus two lower), by
rating performance and then by buchholz.

For the first tie-break Bauer has 19 which would place him at the bottom his second tie-break (TPR) of 2772 would not be required.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:22 am

Peter Turner wrote:Good morning John
I'm afraid that Bauer's valiant attempt to score 7/7 has failed and I think with the two missed rounds the tie-break system will place him at the bottom of his score group. We haven't discussed norm chances with Sam, I'm sure he will know the situation. I'm sitting near Sam & Neil going through some preparation, I've just overheard them looking at a line which lead to a draw. Sam's comment was, "Do I need a draw .... !?" I think he knows a win would be very useful.
Regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

I think Sam needs 2/2 if he plays a 2503 or higher in the last round. Best of luck to him and the others in the last two rounds.

Lawrence

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 am

A very good morning to all. Yes, Peter, it is good to be prepared, play one's best and let the results and norms follow, as I am sure they will.
(Preparation would be short if I had Samuel's opponent. My outdated d/b has only 2 games B31 & 36 both from 2002 BUT with black not white.)
Hope that all the group have better luck preparing than that and good results today.
Have to go now but I'll be back watching the live action a bit after 13:00 GMT. John

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Sam has just drawn and George has won, Neil still playing.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Well done to George and Sam fingers crossed for Neil.It is very good that we can pass on our support to all 3 players via you Peter and you can give us all a briefing as to what is going on. Good luck to all 3 players for next round.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Neil has drawn, Sam was aware that a win was needed for a chance of an IM Norm. Tomorrow's last round is 9am so no time for preparation in the morning, Neil may do a bit after breakfast. The two boys are in the running for age and grading group prizes so plenty for which to play.
Thanks to everyone for interesting and supportive posts. It is quite comforting to know their are people who like to join in and to feel part of what is going on.

Peter T

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:38 pm

I'd just like to echo what Peter D. Williams posted above and to add my thanks to Peter Turner for making it an even livelier event.
I am sure there will be many more norm chances for the younger players in the not too distant future.
And with the help of coaches like Neil leading the way titles can be gained.
George winning and Neil & Samuel drawing today is a good outcome and a fillip for tomorrow.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks everyone, having a civilised exchange has added to our enjoyment. Round 9 pairings:-

Neil McDonald 2457 GM ENG (4.5) v Martin Mitchell 2217 SCO
Sam Franklin 2187 ENG (4.5) v Robert Aloma Vidal 2408 IM ESP
George O’Toole 2177 ENG (4.5) v Alex Astaneh Lopez 2400 IM IRL

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:55 am

Peter Turner wrote: ... a few kind words of encouragement are worth their weight in gold.
May I belatedly respond to that by wishing all the group - indeed all the English players - a successful final round.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:56 am

I'd like to second what David says above. Andrew Whiteley is also on 4.5/8, and Gerald Parfett on 4. Live games in 5 mins.
Last edited by John McKenna on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 am

One or two of the top boards already seem a bit drawish. A little further down young Nyzhnyk looks like he's prepared to go through contortions with black (Ns on a6 & b6) to try and unbalance the opening. And (missing man) Bauer has made it to board 9 despite nil points for the first two rounds.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 am

A couple of boards in the top ten drawn. Still plenty of play on board 1 (Harikrishna-Gharamian) and despite reduced material black (Negi) may be in a bit of danger of losing.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:26 am

I say that and immediately they (Sanikidze & Negi) agree a draw!?