English Players qualified for FIDE Title (FM, WFM, CM, WCM)

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: English Players qualified for FIDE Title (FM, WFM, CM, W

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 11, 2017 2:51 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: If your old rating reappears then I'd know what your rating is and if you qualify for any title eg CM 2200 FM 2300.
The 4NCL archive goes back to 2002 and here's the results for round 4 showing Andy at board 5 for Poisoned Pawns with a rating of 2233. So that's CM at least.
http://www.4ncl.co.uk/pre2010/0203_div2results_rd4.htm

Andrew Hammond

Post by Andrew Hammond » Thu May 11, 2017 4:08 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Andrew Hammond wrote:However, perhaps Kevin or Lawrence can let me know if I do qualify for a title of some kind and what the requirements (and cost) would be...might help for coaching purposes.

Regards and please message me about any chess matter, including Stan Vaughan who I knew for a couple of years.

Hammondo
Welcome back!

I am intrigued as to what happens next time you play a rated game. If your old rating reappears then I'd know what your rating is and if you qualify for any title eg CM 2200 FM 2300. It's not too late to target IM norms though as was shown in recent weeks with John Pigott beating Shirov to get his final norm 19 years after his second one.

My highest FIDE rating was a pathetic 2235 about 20 years ago. I have barely played any FIDE rated events, other than 4NCl in the last 10 years. I haven't played at Hastings or the British champs in a long time either, but now I'm actually putting some effort in my chess and avoiding to play the usual rubbish lines I constantly played, then I do not believe it would be that difficult to get to 220-230 ECF....if the opportunity arises to seek some norms :>)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Andrew Hammond wrote: Plus my K factor is rubbish, so better to try and start again...no?
If this means you were intending to defraud the FIDE rating system by reappearing as a new player, it may not have been a wise move to tell the whole world about it in advance.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Hammond

Post by Andrew Hammond » Thu May 11, 2017 5:01 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Andrew Hammond wrote: Plus my K factor is rubbish, so better to try and start again...no?
If this means you were intending to defraud the FIDE rating system by reappearing as a new player, it may not have been a wise move to tell the whole world about it in advance.
I'm not attempting to defraud FIDE. I'm sure when I play some FIDE rated games, my name will be dragged up from their database and appropriately my rating will be updated. I'm sure they are not too bothered by players at the mickey mouse level of play i.e. those under IM or GM
:D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Andrew Hammond wrote: I'm sure they are not too bothered by players at the mickey mouse level of play i.e. those under IM or GM
No, not true at all.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Hammond

Re: English Players qualified for FIDE Title (FM, WFM, CM, WCM)

Post by Andrew Hammond » Thu May 11, 2017 5:41 pm

well, my intention was not to cheat when I asked FIDE to take me from the list,. I had asked the BCF/ECF at the time also and they said they couldn't do that...which I found rather strange at the time.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Andrew Hammond wrote:well, my intention was not to cheat when I asked FIDE to take me from the list
Fair enough, as long as you get the ECF to reinstate you when you play again.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu May 11, 2017 6:14 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Please find below from the FIDE rating server a list of players (many now inactive) who are eligible to claim one of the four titles mentioned above.

FIDE Master

400475 Haygarth, Michael J 2375
Too late for him:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8471

and maybe for some of the others on your list?

Also is there not some limit to how many years back you can go to claim CM/ FM?

That's what I was told when I asked to claim CM; fortunately it turned out I was within the limit. Or maybe the rule has changed?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The rules on CM and FM titles are now that you just have to hit the rating points of 2200 and 2300 for just the one game. There must be a long back history of players who have achieved this.
Right now, yes, but from 1 July, regulation 1.3 changes from:

"Titles may be gained by achieving a published or interim rating at some time or other (see 1.53a):"

to

"Titles may be gained by achieving a published or interim rating at some time or other (see 1.53a) having at that time played at least 30 rated games:"

That, I believe, is 5 games more than it used to be in the mid-1990s when I got my FM title.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:"Titles may be gained by achieving a published or interim rating at some time or other (see 1.53a) having at that time played at least 30 rated games:"

That, I believe, is 5 games more than it used to be in the mid-1990s when I got my FM title.
The question of whether this should be 25 or 30 was discussed, with no very strong views expressed. The swing argument was that a new player's k factor remains at 40 until he has played 30 games, so there is some consistency there.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 pm

"Hello Chess lovers! Hammondo is back from the wildeness, so I thought I would update you on some conversation about myself!"

Great news!

Hope to see you in action soon.