England Teams for 2012 Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

England Teams for 2012 Olympiad

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm pleased to announce the following selections for England at the 2012 Olympiad:

Open:

1. GM Michael Adams
2. GM Gawain Jones
3. GM Nigel Short
4. GM David Howell
5. GM Nick Pert

Captain: Peter Wells.

Women:

1. WGM Anya Corke
2. WFM Maria Yurenok
3. WFM Sarah Hegarty
4. WFM Sabrina Chevannes
5. WFM Kanwal Bhatia

Captain: GM Stephen Gordon

Dates: 28th August - 9th September 2012

Venue: Istanbul, Turkey.

Schedule: Rounds 1-5: 28th August - 1st September, Rounds 6-10: 3rd-7th September, Round 11: 9th September.

Round Times: 15:00

Lawrence Cooper
Director of International Chess
English Chess Federation
Last edited by LawrenceCooper on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Cooksey

Re: England Teams for 2012 Olympiad

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 pm

I don't know if Loz can comment on selection matters. But anyway, some thoughts, firstly on the men's team:
1. No Luke or Matthew Sadler. I suppose they were unavailable.
2. A strong team nonetheless, which suggests there is some sponsorship
3. Nigel Short playing below Gawain Jones.
4. Peter Wells as captain (a good choice in my opinion, since his theoretical knowledge seems to be widely respected.)

I guess the England chess team will be looking to Germany 2011 as its inspiration, just as the football team looks to Greece 2004. A long shot that this team will be competing for the medals, but not inconceivable.

The women's team is players 2.10,11,12,13 from the rating list (which excludes Harriet as inactive). It would be interesting to know if this is due to availability, or a deliberate youth policy. Jovanka presumably would not feel welcome in Turkey, even if they didn't ban her directly. (Good riddance to bad rubbish, incidentally). Again, looks like a good choice of captain to me.

Peter D Williams

Re: England Teams for 2012 Olympiad

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 pm

This is a good mix of player who will give 100% and more.Peter Wells is a good choice as captain he has great deal of experience and knows what support the players will need at this level.Im very pleased to see Nick playing on board 5. As i have said before Nick is a fine player with a proven track record at a high level. Lets not worry about players that where unavailable this is the team that has been picked and we should thank and get behind the players for being willing to go and do battle for England! Good luck England.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.