Title norms held by English players

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Title norms held by English players

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:31 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:In a vain attempt to get this thread back on topic, the only norm certificates that I currently have insufficient information to raise are:

IM norms:

Ashton, Adam IM Swiss Championship 2005
Dunworth, Chris Staunton International 1994
Giddins, Stephen IM Lost Boys, Antwerp 1998

WGM norm:

Sheldon, Ruth WGM Vera Menchik Memorial Apr-96

This is a final plea for information before I finish as I.R.O. at the end of the month/year.
The list of outstanding norms that I have insufficient information on is now down to two:

IM norm:

WGM norm:

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:31 am

Lawrence - best I can find between various pieces in CHESS and BCM;

2nd Vera Menchik Memorial, Chillingham Arms, Heaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne - April 4-9, 1996
Arbiters - Simon Gillam, Lara Barnes
Organiser - Tim Wall
Format - Scheveningen - Team A versus Team B

Team A Result - IM Andrew Martin 7, IM Andrew Muir 6, IM Steve Mannion, IM Douglas Bryson 5.5, Richard Dineley 4.5, Charlie Storey 4, Rick McMichael 3, Clive Waters 1.5, Richard Gaughan 0.5

Team B Result - WGM Susan Lalic 7, WFM Ruth Sheldon 6.5, FM Dave Ledger, FM John Shaw 5.5, Daire McMahon 4.5, Jonathan Wilson 4, WFM Natasha Regan 3.5, WIM Ingrid Lauterbach 3

Some Sheldon results:
1. Colours as shown
Rd1 Martin 1-0 Sheldon, Rd5 Muir 0-1 Sheldon, Rd8 Sheldon draw Gaughan, Rd9 Sheldon draw Dineley

2. Colours not known
Rd? Sheldon bt Mannion

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:14 am

Colin Patterson wrote:Lawrence - best I can find between various pieces in CHESS and BCM;

2nd Vera Menchik Memorial, Chillingham Arms, Heaton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne - April 4-9, 1996
Arbiters - Simon Gillam, Lara Barnes
Organiser - Tim Wall
Format - Scheveningen - Team A versus Team B

Team A Result - IM Andrew Martin 7, IM Andrew Muir 6, IM Steve Mannion, IM Douglas Bryson 5.5, Richard Dineley 4.5, Charlie Storey 4, Rick McMichael 3, Clive Waters 1.5, Richard Gaughan 0.5

Team B Result - WGM Susan Lalic 7, WFM Ruth Sheldon 6.5, FM Dave Ledger, FM John Shaw 5.5, Daire McMahon 4.5, Jonathan Wilson 4, WFM Natasha Regan 3.5, WIM Ingrid Lauterbach 3

Some Sheldon results:
1. Colours as shown
Rd1 Martin 1-0 Sheldon, Rd5 Muir 0-1 Sheldon, Rd8 Sheldon draw Gaughan, Rd9 Sheldon draw Dineley

2. Colours not known
Rd? Sheldon bt Mannion
Many thanks.

HLang

Post by HLang » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:32 am

Colin Patterson wrote: 2. Colours not known
Rd? Sheldon bt Mannion
This page (scraped from an Independent article) indicates that Ruth was white in her game against Steve:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4792133.html

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:19 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:In a vain attempt to get this thread back on topic, the only norm certificates that I currently have insufficient information to raise are:

IM norms:

Ashton, Adam IM Swiss Championship 2005
Giddins, Stephen IM Lost Boys, Antwerp 1998

WGM norm:

This is a final plea for information before I finish as I.R.O. at the end of the month/year.
The list of outstanding norms that I have insufficient information on is now down to two:

IM norm:

WGM norm:

Just Ruth's norm certificate left now, albeit I'm gradually accumulating bits of info on an hourly basis :)

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:22 pm

Slight correction - Ruth's round 9 draw versus Dineley should also have been in the Colours Unkown category - apologies.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Colin Patterson wrote:Slight correction - Ruth's round 9 draw versus Dineley should also have been in the Colours Unkown category - apologies.
Rd. 1 A. Martin (2420) v R. Sheldon 1-0
Rd. 2 R. Sheldon v C. Waters (2000) 1-0
Rd. 3 C. Storey (2215) v R. Sheldon 0-1
Rd. 4 R. Sheldon v S. Mannion (2345) 1-0
Rd. 5 A. Muir (2315) v R. Sheldon 0-1
Rd. 6 R. Sheldon v R. McMichael (2250) 1-0
Rd. 7 D. Bryson (2405) v R. Sheldon 1/2
Rd. 8 R. Sheldon v R. Gaughan (2095) 1/2
Rd. 9 R. Dineley (2255) v R. Sheldon 1/2

All norm information now found and sent to FIDE, the oldest norm dating back to 1980. If anyone hears of any norms not yet registered I'm sure my successor will be delighted to hear from you. :oops: Thanks again to everyone who helped.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: All norm information now found and sent to FIDE, the oldest norm dating back to 1980. If anyone hears of any norms not yet registered I'm sure my successor will be delighted to hear from you. :oops: Thanks again to everyone who helped.
Wow! With just under ten hours to go before you step down, the second eye of the Daruma Doll can be dotted.

Your tenure as International Rating Officer is probably both the shortest and the most productive on record. That is a remarkable achievement for which English chess players owe you an immense vote of thanks.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:49 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: All norm information now found and sent to FIDE, the oldest norm dating back to 1980. If anyone hears of any norms not yet registered I'm sure my successor will be delighted to hear from you. :oops: Thanks again to everyone who helped.
Wow! With just under ten hours to go before you step down, the second eye of the Daruma Doll can be dotted.

Your tenure as International Rating Officer is probably both the shortest and the most productive on record. That is a remarkable achievement for which English chess players owe you an immense vote of thanks.
Incredible! It may be too late, but is it possible for full lists of norms to be put online in some form? Or will they all eventually be available through the FIDE website? From my experience, FIDE seem only to put up recent ones. I have no idea if they intend to push older records online or not.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:

Incredible! It may be too late, but is it possible for full lists of norms to be put online in some form? Or will they all eventually be available through the FIDE website? From my experience, FIDE seem only to put up recent ones. I have no idea if they intend to push older records online or not.
Most of them are now on the FIDE rating site, albeit the ones I've sent in the last week won't be there yet and I notice that Graeme Buckley's appears on the IM and not the GM page. Originally only four of the gm norms were shown but once Graeme's is transferred over there should be 20. It was a similar story for IM norms so I do hope I won't be called upon in 32 years time to try and locate a similar number of missing ones :roll:

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:13 pm

International Rating duties from now onwards will be dealt with through the ECF Office who may be contacted via the dedicated IRO email ([email protected])

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Congratulations to Mark Lyell who made an IM norm at the First Saturday event in Budapest which finished last week.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Congratulations to Mark Lyell who made an IM norm at the First Saturday event in Budapest which finished last week.
Congratulations to Mark, that's his second norm, the first was at the Jan 2009 First Saturday IM event.

Colin S Crouch

Post by Colin S Crouch » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Of players who achieved norms in the 70s, but did not achieve their title:

Andrew Law is no longer with us, unfortunately.

Also Michael Franklin achieved a good IM norm in the Aaronson Masters in 1978. I remember that, because I lost to him in that event.

Reminds me: I'm playing against Richmond tonight. He played for Richmond for many years in the London League. Not so long ago, I was due to play him, but the opposing team captain had to change their board order quickly, as for health reasons I was unable to handle a quickplay finsish, while for his own health reasons, he did not want to travel to London for an adjournment.

Did David Rumens ever achieve an IM norm? I cannot rmember him doing so, but I may be wrong.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:21 am

Hello Colin, if David Rumens ever made an IM norm it may be lost in the mists of time. He is an FM but when did he gain that title, I wonder? He won the UK Grand Prix in 1976 & 1978 but that was based on weekend tournaments. Perhaps the 1970s were his heyday, but he may not have played many FIDE-rated tournaments at that time.