FIDE Grand Prix (London 2012)

The very latest International round up of English news.
Alex Holowczak

Re: FIDE Grand Prix (London 2012)

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:28 pm

John Upham wrote:I counted around 20 photographers at the start of round one most of which were using professional equipment with the odd camera 'phone throw in.
You mean to say that spectators had mobile phones switched on during play in the playing area? :twisted:

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: You mean to say that spectators had mobile phones switched on during play in the playing area? :twisted:
No, this was in the period leading up to the scheduled start time. The Chief Arbiter made several announcements including one to members of the press to turn off devices that might emit a sound.

Players were asked to check that their watches did not have alarms set.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 pm

John Upham wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: You mean to say that spectators had mobile phones switched on during play in the playing area? :twisted:
No, this was in the period leading up to the scheduled start time. The Chief Arbiter made several announcements including one to members of the press to turn off devices that might emit a sound.

Players were asked to check that their watches did not have alarms set.
Yes, you said "at the start of round one", which I deliberately interpreted to mean something other than "in the period leading up to the start of round one". :P

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Images from Simpson's-in-the-Strand may be found at

http://johnupham.smugmug.com/Chess/FIDE :D

Select "Slideshow" from the top right-hand side to fill the screen.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Is anyone watching this?

An interesting miniature today in Mamedyarov-Giri, or maybe just a disaster in black's opening preparation (was 12...c5? premature).

Otherwise a couple of draws so far, and no player seems to be stamping their authority on the tournament yet.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:33 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote: An interesting miniature today in Mamedyarov-Giri, or maybe just a disaster in black's opening preparation (was 12...c5? premature).
It's difficult to know what's theory and what isn't. It's a very rare line. A while back, Anand expressed caution about relying on engine assessments. His point was that as the programming of engines improves and their search depth increases, they find that lines previously thought OK were actually suspect and perhaps vv.

A disaster in opening preparation perhaps, but was an over optimistic engine to blame, or did he just miscalculate or fail to recall his previous analysis?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Here's what GM Ramirez said about 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Qb3... 0-1 (48) Giri-Aronian 2012 (R10) Istanbul Ol.
"Aronian used this line to defeat Eljanov. It seems Giri keeps using Aronian's lines and they backfire."
Seems like good reverse psychology by Mamedyarov.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:28 pm

How strong would Nakamura be if he was a bit better at rook endgames?

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 pm

I suppose Karsparov would beat Capakhine for best chess Chimera, unless anyone has a better idea. (yes, I am indeed drinking :) )
:lol:

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Mikhail Bottal would give any other chimera a good game. Though getting the genes to combine might take even more skill than in the cases already mentioned.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Was anyone else confused as to how Naka survived his round five game? :?

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Kasimdzhanov really earned his appearance fee etc with his stunning play today. Clear edge out of the opening with black, plays straight into an 11 move repetition. I don't blame Ivanchuk for being happy with a repetition under the circumstances, but it was a blatant cop-out on K's side.

Peter Smith

Post by Peter Smith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:05 pm

I think it is outrageous that this event is closed to actual spectators. I traveled up to London today to see these top players only to be met by a bouncer at Simpsons barring my way and preventing attendance. Agon could have at least made this policy clear on its website, then I wouldn't have wasted £30 on a train ticket! It's all wrong anyway. They shouldn't bother bringing these players to London if you can't see them. Watching on a video link is NOT the same as attending a live event. They might as well be playing on the moon. KEEP CHESS LIVE!!

Peter Smith

Post by Peter Smith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:44 pm

But the General Public are forbidden. So much for widening the profile of chess and bringing it to a wider audience.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 am

Peter Smith wrote:But the General Public are forbidden. So much for widening the profile of chess and bringing it to a wider audience.
How many of the general non-chess-playing public do you really believe would go in and watch?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.