Chess Player Strip Searched

The very latest International round up of English news.
Michael Flatt

Re: Chess Player Strip Searched

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:58 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote: Yet they are talking of mixing online ratings with over the board.
I thought the exact proposal was that the change in OTB rating would be added to the Arena rating. This preserves the OTB rating from contamination
This point came up before. Roger is correct and it already happens. A players profile on the FIDE includes an online rating which incorporates a players over-the-board results.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:43 am

Clive Blackburn wrote:What puzzles me is that the player refused to open his shirt but then agreed to pass through a metal detector, which revealed the pendant around his neck. Had he refused to submit to the metal detector check, would he have got away with it?
You'd hope not but you do need to have written the rules of your competitions (Or of chess in general I suppose) sensibly, or you might have trouble.

The online stuff is just scary of course.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:25 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ition.html

I know this has been mentioned before, but I was struck by the DM publishing two photographs, both of which are nonsensical.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:04 am

Clive Blackburn wrote:What puzzles me is that the player refused to open his shirt but then agreed to pass through a metal detector, which revealed the pendant around his neck. Had he refused to submit to the metal detector check, would he have got away with it?
According to the DM article above the player did not agree to go through the metal detector:
Daily Mail article wrote:So the referee hatched a plan, and had a metal detector put in before the competitors arrived - and when Ricciardi walked through, it went off.
he just wasn't told about it.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Extract from The Minutes of the Qualification Commission.
They were asked to approve a proposal under which some games played using the interface will be approved for rating as standard games. This is a one year trial period SOLELY for team matches.
The commission voted 5 against, 3 for and 1 abstention.
In the Executive Board meeting the Deputy President, Makro, said that the opposition was not solid enough. Therefore the experiment would take place. This is against the FIDE statutes as only the General Assembly has the right to overrule the QC (or Rules Commission).

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Some pictures of the equipment used.

1. Equipment http://blog.chesslogger.com/2015/09/api ... peria.html
2. Tournament website: http://www.imperiascacchi.it/
3. Ricciardi's games: http://www.scacchierando.it/tornei_/tor ... di-imperia

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

I must admit that I am slightly surprised that a spy camera placed like that would work consistently enough to be hugely useful. Suppose if some competent human ally on the other end it'd help a lot.

I'd definitely expect that soon enough they'd have a game where a piece or two got on the wrong squares and his play simply stopped making any sense. Somewhat of a give away.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Ricciardi (1829) - Mazur (2378), Imperia 2015 White to move

I guess if there was a was to detect that a player was using computer assistance it would be in a position like this. For a player rated at 1829 then you would think the moves 1 Qc3 or 1 Nc4 would be the only moves they would be looking at. Indeed both are good moves when I put it on Deep Fritz 13. However, the number one move which Ricciardi actually played was the seemingly nonsensical at first sight 1 g4!! Such a move would never have crossed my mind but when you realize that once the bishop moves that 2 Ne4 is an absolute killer as 2...Qd8 leaves 3 Nf6 mate or the win of the queen if he plays 2...Qd7 then its really a lovely finish. However, it is only a move or 2 deep and if we didn't know he was cheating it would have been difficult to argue that such a move was beyond the ability of an 1829 player who just happened to be seeing everything clearly that day.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Looks well within the capabilities really - seems very hard to see at first, but if you're looking at Nc4 then you're at least a fair way to also looking at Ne4, and once you do that/see how strong that move potentially is, g4 isn't so hard to dream up :)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Chris Rice wrote: I guess if there was a was to detect that a player was using computer assistance it would be in a position like this.
It's quite recognisably "just out of the opening", so a computer assisted move could be home preparation just as much as on the fly. Basically he was caught because he was wearing a strange set of equipment. I would have thought the advice to anyone taking a pendant incorporating a camera to a chess tournament is don't. Equally having mystery boxes taped to your person is out as well.

Is it known whether there was an accomplice? If not and he's built a means of capturing moves using a camera, then he may have discovered a valid alternative to DGT boards.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:37 pm

I think it would be quite odd if there wasn't an accomplice? Reliable auto interpretation of precisely which piece is where is maybe possible - I'd worry about errors if fully auto though as one error is quite enough to firmly break everything - is not at all easy from a photograph. Well until someone solves it once of course :(

It'd certainly have involved disproportionate effort compared to the method used to pass information back again - a box under your arm pit so you have to permanently sit in a really odd position? Really not the best solution.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:16 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
It'd certainly have involved disproportionate effort compared to the method used to pass information back again - a box under your arm pit so you have to permanently sit in a really odd position? Really not the best solution.
I wasn't sure about the Morse Code solution either. To transmit a move using full algebraic, you only need to send 4 characters, each of which can have one of eight possible values. It would be easy to devise a much simpler system - for instance, you could just send dots and no dashes and the player would simply have to count them. Less scope for error that way and no furiously twitching eyebrows!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:15 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Looks well within the capabilities really - seems very hard to see at first, but if you're looking at Nc4 then you're at least a fair way to also looking at Ne4, and once you do that/see how strong that move potentially is, g4 isn't so hard to dream up :)
I would be disappointed if I didn't see g4. The reason my rating is low is that I tend to play such moves even when they don't quite work.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Roger >If not and he's built a means of capturing moves using a camera, then he may have discovered a valid alternative to DGT boards.<

In Abu Dhabi we were introduced to such a system, though not shown it, devised by Israelis. The camera is on a stilt overlooking the game. The image goes to a computer which interprets the image as the usual 2D with up to 32 pieces. It is early days, but was used on ome boards in the European Championship.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Much easier problem from a fixed, clear viewpoint mind.

Oh, if anyone wants a fun cheating case from bridge there's Lotan Fisher and Ron Schwartz. Nil direct evidence, a lot of rumours/statistical investigations. Teammates convinced enough to give back some trophies. Israel bridge fed doing a formal investigation.

This is much the sane end of this, although top Bridge players obviously biased to be quite good at stats ;) http://bridgewinners.com/article/view/t ... ypothesis/

Very difficult of course. Likely much more so than trying to catch the direct parroting of computer moves.