FIDE Decisions

The very latest International round up of English news.
Kevin Thurlow

FIDE Decisions

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:20 pm

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8872

has appeared. Some of the 51 decisions look interesting. For example

30.To approve the membership of Social Actions Commission and accept the report.

32.To create a Committee for a unified dress-code guidelines with Mrs. Marinello, Mr. Paulson and Ms. Sorokina as members.

38.To approve the dates for the World Youth Championships 2013 as 17-29 December 2013 and to appoint a FIDE supervisor for World Youth Championships 2013.

Roger de Coverly

Re: FIDE Decisions

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Some of the 51 decisions look interesting.
chessbase didn't comment on the now withdrawn (temporarily?) licensing proposal. But neither did FIDE, despite its potential to destroy the growth of internationally rated chess at the "club" player level.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:09 pm

With reference to Kevin's originating post:
30... is cryptic to me - what is 'social action'? If it was legal action I'd have a clue.
32... dusting off my old suit. Will it be sartorially acceptable or offensive now?
38... there seems to be more than a little redundancy in this pronouncement. However, the dates are very inclusive.
Perhaps I should have read the report first. I'll do so in a mo.
Finally, I find myself in agreement with Roger's post - having returned to my roots as a bronze club player I am finding all potential for growing my FIDE rating has been destroyed.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:21 pm

The following may not be popular with whoever in the ECF has to co-ordinate the English participation:

39. To award the World Youth Championship (U14, U16, U18) 2016 to Khanty-Mansiysk and not open a bidding procedure.
40. To award Women’s World Rapid and Blitz Championship 2014 to Khanty-Mansiysk.
41. To award World Junior and Girls U -20 2015 to Khanty-Mansiysk.
42. To award World Youth U-16 Chess Olympiad 2015 to Georgia.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:The following may not be popular with whoever in the ECF has to co-ordinate the English participation:

39. To award the World Youth Championship (U14, U16, U18) 2016 to Khanty-Mansiysk and not open a bidding procedure.
40. To award Women’s World Rapid and Blitz Championship 2014 to Khanty-Mansiysk.

It is good to see that FIDE are striving to provide a diverse range of venues! "Gens una sumus" has a ring of reality to it.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 pm

John Upham wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:The following may not be popular with whoever in the ECF has to co-ordinate the English participation:

It is good to see that FIDE are striving to provide a diverse range of venues! "Gens una sumus" has a ring of reality to it.
Has England ever bid for any of those junior events?
It looks to me this has less to do with "providing diversity" than with "having no other bidder", Khanty-Mansiysk seems the new Elista...

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: It looks to me this has less to do with "providing diversity" than with "having no other bidder", Khanty-Mansiysk seems the new Elista...
It could be that
and not open a bidding procedure
is relevant. Maybe I have misunderstood (as usual)?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 pm

John Upham wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote: It looks to me this has less to do with "providing diversity" than with "having no other bidder", Khanty-Mansiysk seems the new Elista...
It could be that
and not open a bidding procedure
is relevant.
One would hope that this is contrary to FIDE's rules for awarding events. At the very least it's going to put off anyone else who might have been considering bidding (even if the chances of there being anyone else is low).