Tromso World Cup 2013

The very latest International round up of English news.
Maxim Devereaux

Re: Tromso World Cup 2013

Post by Maxim Devereaux » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes, I haven't heard the post-game comments, but I suspect Kamsky must have seen that his Rb8-b2 plan was quite forcing, even if he hadn't analysed it all the way through. If he saw as far as picking up the White rook on c1, I suspect that would have been good enough to convince him.

Nakamura looks to be going out. 34. ...Rh8 was something of a lemon. I think most players could find 35. Kc2 with the idea of Bc3 and d5, and even short of time, Korobov has had no hesitation in going for it.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 am

Gata Kamsky is playing the most exciting chess for me at the moment so I hope he reaches the Candiates.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Svidler through in 135 moves against Le to join Andreikin who had a surprisingly comfortable 2-0 victory against Karjakin and Maxime Vachier Lagrave who beat Gelfand 1.5-0.5. Morozevich & Tomashevsky about to start the next leg of play-off games.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:50 pm

The time control is 10 + 10' per move. Morozevich - Tomashevsky has now been going on for almost an hour...
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 pm

Yep, value for money from Moro and Tomashevsky ... we could have another 3 games to come!

Paul

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:Yep, value for money from Moro and Tomashevsky ... we could have another 3 games to come!

Paul
169 moves and Tomashevsky wins! A big ask for Moro to come back now......

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:21 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Paul Dargan wrote:Yep, value for money from Moro and Tomashevsky ... we could have another 3 games to come!

Paul
169 moves and Tomashevsky wins! A big ask for Moro to come back now......
Amazing match with drama right until the end, Tomashevsky through 4.5-3.5.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Do you think he didn't play e4 mate out of respect, or didn't he see it?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Do you think he didn't play e4 mate out of respect, or didn't he see it?
Judging from his comments as he arrived in the commentary room he saw the draw to win the match and didn't look any further. I suspect both players were exhausted and it's credit to both of them that they continued to produce such entertaining and complicated games despite getting more and more tired.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 pm

I followed this on Chessbomb. Is there some way of turning off the comments, which somehow are very hard to avoid? Today there was a racist rant by someone against the Vietnamese player, and someone else changed the subject by talking about Susan Polgar's "assets". Then another wondered whether, since Lawrence Trent was commenting alongside her, he too might be Jewish, apparently fortified in this belief because he insanely believed Jesus' name originally to have been similar to Trent. When all this died down, someone remembered that Svidler wears an ear ring and speaks better English than most Americans, and so the discussion turned to whether he was gay.

Not an especially unusual day at Chessbomb but somehow it particularly irritated me today.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:57 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Not an especially unusual day at Chessbomb but somehow it particularly irritated me today.
And so it should, and would. But why, for heaven's sake, are you following it on Chessbomb when you have everything Chessbomb can offer and much more HERE. And with no sexist, racist or anti-semitic comments either (enter a reservation on 'sexism' since Nigel starts tomorrow)

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:16 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I followed this on Chessbomb. Is there some way of turning off the comments, which somehow are very hard to avoid? Today there was a racist rant by someone against the Vietnamese player, and someone else changed the subject by talking about Susan Polgar's "assets". Then another wondered whether, since Lawrence Trent was commenting alongside her, he too might be Jewish, apparently fortified in this belief because he insanely believed Jesus' name originally to have been similar to Trent. When all this died down, someone remembered that Svidler wears an ear ring and speaks better English than most Americans, and so the discussion turned to whether he was gay.

Not an especially unusual day at Chessbomb but somehow it particularly irritated me today.
I think the trolls just feed off each other, trying to outdo each other by being more controversial so that they somehow feel important in their little niche of the internet, hiding behind anonymity.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I followed this on Chessbomb. Is there some way of turning off the comments ....
Yes it's all loathsome. I must admit I don't always see the kind of thing you've described, but the inanity of the 'chess' comments is enough to wish for the apocalypse.

Never did find a way of turning off the comments. I usually resize the window to make it so small I can't read any of them (which unfortunately doesn't work so well with my new larger screen)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:00 pm

I am beginning to think replacing Polgar and Trent wasn't the best idea :D I really enjoyed their commentary, but I am not so keen on the pairing of Nigel and I am not sure who the other commentator is.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 pm

I am surprised Svidler agreed a draw, I couldn't see any reason not to play Re4 and d4. It seemed that only Black could win.