Tromso World Cup 2013

The very latest International round up of English news.
Kevin Williamson

Re: Tromso World Cup 2013

Post by Kevin Williamson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Nigel's comments about arbiters were interesting too - thinks officially only 25% of them are any good and privately that it is much less than that, although he exempted the WC arbiters from criticism
Being a ‘WC’ arbiter has to be the toughest job in the world…… presumably checking the toilets for illegal use of chess software running on phones and tablets :D

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:45 pm

John McKenna wrote:Don't wish to divert from the sledging of arbiters (rapidly approaching the popularity of traffic wardens, with whom they have things in common) but what that would really enliven this thread is a win by Adreikin today. Go on Dimitri!
(Did anyone catch Nigel playing word games with Dirk, yesterday, by asking him - What's the diff between a comma and a cat?)
Pause at the end of the clause, claws at the end of the paws.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Andreikin seems to be going his own way but has he managed to get Kramnik off the A36 beaten track, yet, I wonder.
And, I wonder if Kramink recalled his move against Gelfand in London and began to feel a little uncomfortable when he played Ne8.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:45 pm

John McKenna wrote:(Did anyone catch Nigel playing word games with Dirk, yesterday, by asking him - What's the diff between a comma and a cat?)
Unfortunately yes
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Kramnik (spelt it right this time) is playing like a computer, Andreikin like the last man standing in front of it. I fear it will end badly for the human. Is that black Na5 just a lemon or does it have potential - has Nigel pontificated about that? Hope Dirk is keeping him to the script today and not allowing Nigel any tongue twisters.
Edit - 22... c4 would have made more sense to me... Dimitri is in trouble 31... Nb3-/+ and it is nearly all over, bar the shouting.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:08 pm

In the event VK offered a draw, which was all he needed. As the only unbeaten player in the whole competition, a worthy winner 8)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm

Surprised but glad to see Kramnik win it

I missed a week of the chess while on holiday in Majorca, so not really able to give an overall impression, but is the general feeling this was a good world Cup?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Surprised - why?? He was always *one* of the favourites surely.......

Correction to the above, it was Andreikin who offered the draw - in a virtually lost (though still equal material) position. Vlad obviously decided he could leave evening his personal score against him for another day :twisted:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)