SUMMARY REPORT OF QC COUNCIL MEETING IN ATHENS

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

SUMMARY REPORT OF QC COUNCIL MEETING IN ATHENS

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Andrew Bak

Re: SUMMARY REPORT OF QC COUNCIL MEETING IN ATHENS

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Seems like a well-researched and analysed report. All the suggestions made including Sean's seem to be very sensible as it has been clear for sometime that there are many undergraded players who ratings significantly lag behind.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't look at the effect of having a monthly list on the ratings but maybe this is a non-factor in the grand scheme of things.

Perhaps the most noticeable absent thing is whether the recommendations suggested will be accepted by FIDE. Does anyone know what the procedure is for changing the rating system?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:Seems like a well-researched and analysed report. All the suggestions made including Sean's seem to be very sensible as it has been clear for sometime that there are many undergraded players who ratings significantly lag behind.
Gosh. I'd forgotten that I had sent them my analysis. :oops:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Andrew Bak wrote: I'm a bit surprised they didn't look at the effect of having a monthly list on the ratings but maybe this is a non-factor in the grand scheme of things.
This has been looked at before, as rating periods have come down, and pretty much done to death. There is certainly a theoretical argument for increasing k from 10 to 11 to reflect the change, but the general view is that this would look silly.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Andrew Bak wrote: Perhaps the most noticeable absent thing is whether the recommendations suggested will be accepted by FIDE. Does anyone know what the procedure is for changing the rating system?
What a strange thing to say. We shall find out in Tallinn, where the EB will need to be convinced before they vote on it. The Council's recommendation hasn't even been accepted by the full QC yet.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.