Developing top-level English chess by David Openshaw

The very latest International round up of English news.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Developing top-level English chess by David Openshaw

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:49 pm

So there are people who agree with me. The fees are too low. Increase them and the cost of the admin shouldn't rise. Thus better value for money can be given.
But there are traps.
20% of the fees goes in VAT. That doesn't apply in cycling or other sports.
It is silly to take money from people and then recycle of it back to the same people. The government does this all the time. They think they know better than me how to spend my money. They are wrong. When you recycle like that there is an inevitable loss because the cycle isn't 100% efficient.
The ECF did look at outsourcing membership when I was Marketing Director. But it got overtaken by the change in the whole structure. I don't know whether it has been looked at more recently.

It isn't at all difficult to justify spending money on developing our top players. People need role models. People who just play in their local clubs should have a vested interest in developing new and strong players. Otherwise, in due course, they will run out of opponents.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Those people who object to paying for our top players are often the same people who say that English chess doesn't have the prestige it deserves.

A couple of things that occur to me. Firstly the ECF could do a lot worse than allow members to make an optional donation when they renew their membership (similar to congresses). The platinum membership is, in effect, a donor's scheme but not everybody can stump up £60.

Secondly, if the grassroots player is investing in the elite, they do have the right to expect something for their investment. The odd simul on behalf of the ECF in different parts of the country might be a popular idea.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:05 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:Firstly the ECF could do a lot worse than allow members to make an optional donation when they renew their membership (similar to congresses).
The facility to make a donation to the International Team fund when renewing online already exists!

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:Firstly the ECF could do a lot worse than allow members to make an optional donation when they renew their membership (similar to congresses).
The facility to make a donation to the International Team fund when renewing online already exists!
Fair enough, I haven't got around to doing mine yet.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:Secondly, if the grassroots player is investing in the elite, they do have the right to expect something for their investment. The odd simul on behalf of the ECF in different parts of the country might be a popular idea.
Last year the people who generously donated to the Olympiad team met two of the England men's team for a meal and demonstration of some of their games.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:42 am

Were they given the option of a meal with members of the women's team? :lol: :P