2014 World Amateur

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

2014 World Amateur

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:39 pm

The FIDE site has the regulations for this, which is in Singapore in 2014. What caught my eye was the move rate. Many tournaments, even in the UK, are switching to one of the increment move rates, the popular one being 40 moves in 90 minutes plus 30 with a 30 second increment. This is despite the disadvantages of indefinite session lengths caused by long games. The World Amateur in 2013 in Romania used this rate. In Singapore, they are going retro by reverting to 40/120 + 30 with presumably all the delights for arbiters of making 10.2 rulings.

It seems a backward step, but are there some influential idiots in FIDE in favour of this? Something about not allowing players to gain time by repeating moves.

Stewart Reuben

Re: 2014 World Amateur

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:00 pm

I presume this idiocy is because they sometimes have two rounds per day in the schedule. Ignatius Leong is probably worried about very long games with a 30 second increment. He may never have heard of something like, 40/100 + 30 + 10 seconds a move from the first. That overcomes 10.2.
I'll see whether I can change Ignatius's mind when I see him in Tromso in a few days time.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The FIDE site has the regulations for this, which is in Singapore in 2014. What caught my eye was the move rate. Many tournaments, even in the UK, are switching to one of the increment move rates, the popular one being 40 moves in 90 minutes plus 30 with a 30 second increment. This is despite the disadvantages of indefinite session lengths caused by long games. The World Amateur in 2013 in Romania used this rate. In Singapore, they are going retro by reverting to 40/120 + 30 with presumably all the delights for arbiters of making 10.2 rulings.

It seems a backward step, but are there some influential idiots in FIDE in favour of this? Something about not allowing players to gain time by repeating moves.
I get really tired of FIDE being blamed for everything. Tournament organisers are free to adopt the ( legal ) time control of their choice. If this were not the case, I'm certain that the same critics would accuse FIDE of authoritarian tendencies.

Personally, I would cut through all of these problems by adding a 3 second time control to all non-increment time controls. This would have the sole purpose of getting rid of the abominable 10.2. I do not know why everybody but me hates this idea.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:54 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Tournament organisers are free to adopt the ( legal ) time control of their choice.
This is an official FIDE title tournament, so presumably the move rate is sanctioned by FIDE. The wording in the Regulations is a bit vague, referring back to the General Assembly.

Individual tournament organisers aren't given much leeway. As far as I recall, the French organisers of the European Individual wanted to dump the zero default rule, but weren't allowed

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:46 am

Nick >Personally, I would cut through all of these problems by adding a 3 second time control to all non-increment time controls. This would have the sole purpose of getting rid of the abominable 10.2. I do not know why everybody but me hates this idea.<

I am not convinced 3 seconds increment is enough time for an old man like me to defend bare knight against bare rook for 50 moves. 5 seconds is probably OK. Some events of FIDE status don't have enough digital clocks to use increments. I wouldn't have thought this would apply in Singapore.

Roger surely the regulations for the European Individual come under the ECU, not FIDE. President Danailov has some very forthright views, that may include favouring zero tolerance.

The European Senior Team has a 30 minute default rule. The World Senior Team which is not yet finalised, has zero tolerance. That is odd as it is being organised in Dresden by the same people. I feel zero tolerance for players over 60 is positively dangerous. We might slip and hurt ourselves.

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Can anyone just enter this (assuming they are not over-rated), or do they have to be nominated by their federation?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:01 am

Neville Belinfante wrote:Can anyone just enter this (assuming they are not over-rated), or do they have to be nominated by their federation?
As far as the ECF is concerned, the answer is both. Entries have to go through the ECF because FIDE run it that way, but the ECF doesn't place any obstacles in the way of anyone wanting to take part.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:39 am

While in Tromso I spoke first to Ignatius Leong and then Boris Kutin about the rate of play in the World Amateur. Singapore have plenty of clocks and I hope the Events Commission will see sense.