Max Fuller

The very latest International round up of English news.
John Upham

Max Fuller

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Those of you who recall 1980 (for me it remains a blurr) will remember the charming Australian, Max Fuller who made a tour of British Chess playing in various tournaments including the Manchester Benedictine International.

I have received the sad news (by way of Facebook & Murray Chandler) that Max is gravely ill in Sydney, Australia:
I'm very sad to report that Max Fuller has suffered a stroke sometime before this last Wednesday. Gareth Charles, who had done so much to help Max over the past few weeks, found Max unconscious on Thursday morning when he was visiting Max to help take him to Peter Parr's funeral.

Gareth was with Max in emergency and so could not attend Peter's funeral. Gareth then let myself and Steve know as soon as the funeral service was over.

On Friday it was decided that Max's stroke was so critical that, when combined with his other health problems, there was no hope of any meaningful recovery, so Max is now being treated with palliative care.

Since then Max's condition has been relatively unchanged: most of the time he is heavily sedated and unconscious but he did briefly open his eyes to both a nurse and myself yesterday, and seemed to recognise me when I spoke to him, although he has no way of responding.

If you are a good friend of Max's (and haven't already been contacted by myself or Steve) and would like to visit Max to say goodbye it would be advisable to do so as soon as possible as he could pass away at any time.

He is in Ward 7F at Royal North Shore in Sydney. Enter the main entrance (the new one) and go straight ahead right through to the back and take the green lifts to the 7th floor. Visiting hours are 11am-1pm and 3pm-8pm.

Greg Canfell
0435 123 295
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Nick Ivell

Re: Max Fuller

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Keene reports that Max has died. I have fond memories of Max from the Guernsey tournament of 1976. He was kind enough to go through my games and I learnt a lot. He outplayed me with the black pieces in our individual game. I recall him as something of a mentor to the young Murray Chandler. RIP Max. He was a fine player.