Paris Grand Prix 2013

The very latest International round up of English news.
Christopher Kreuzer

Paris Grand Prix 2013

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm

John McKenna wrote:Chessbase News now has a report that gives a comprehensive explanation of the FIDE Candidates qualification routes - Grand Prix, World Cup, etc. See -

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211 ... 90813.aspx

In the report Topalov's position (as GP leader) is called "intangible". Interesting use of the word, which by association could morph to untouchable and finally uncatchable.
Eloquent (if somewhat 'interesting') language in that report. Wonder how much it costs to hire that church they are using. And (looking at the line-up) does anyone think Grischuk or Caruana have realistic chances to take first place? I think they do, but who would be favourite between the two of them, or who might be favourite to take first place ahead of them? (I could have just said, "Who will win?" couldn't I?)

John McKenna

Re: Paris Grand Prix 2013

Post by John McKenna » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:18 pm

I'd say that when it comes to a place in the Candidates Mamedyarov is almost "intangible" as its difficult to see either Grischuk or Caruana pipping him at the post. Should be another hard-fought GP tournament, though. Looking forward to it.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:10 pm

John McKenna wrote:I'd say that when it comes to a place in the Candidates Mamedyarov is almost "intangible" as its difficult to see either Grischuk or Caruana pipping him at the post. Should be another hard-fought GP tournament, though. Looking forward to it.
I really hope Caruana makes it. He improved a lot (both skills and rating) in the last year and he clearly has not reached his plateau yet.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 am

A la recherche du temps perdu seems an apt phrase at this point. Nicely designed it may be but that church looks like the sort of venue the e2e4 events were designed to get away from and one which most club players are all too familiar with. I should imagine the world's elite will be hoping the place is at least going to be heated.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... C3%A9e.JPG

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:19 am

Ah, the distant memories of being an unwilling researcher into the temperature of perdition. My club currently play in a church hall - one with heating - so I think the novel choice of venue for this GP could be welcome and the atmosphere may give rise to some spirited chess. What will the temperature be in Paris at the end of Sept. and start of Oct? It may well be quite mild, and visons of hats, gloves & overcoats with frosty breath - as in some old Soviet Siberian tournament - is perhaps just fear of seasonal temperatures of an Englishman based in the Gulf. If they can organise the football World Cup in the desert in the middle of summer then this GP will be a doddle in comparison. Pop over to Paris to join the congregation and chill out.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:29 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:And (looking at the line-up) does anyone think Grischuk or Caruana have realistic chances to take first place? I think they do, but who would be favourite between the two of them, or who might be favourite to take first place ahead of them? (I could have just said, "Who will win?" couldn't I?)
I think Caruana is more likely to win outright than Grischuk who may draw too many games, but it may determine the location of the Candidates (assuming bidding for that doesn't close beforehand, too tired to check now), as the wildcard choice is relevant

If Grischuk does get the second GP place behind Topalov, and joins loser Anand/Carlsen, Aronian, and Russia gets the wildcard and gives it to Svidler, we would be up to 5 Russians with Kramnik, Karjakin and Andreikin
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am

Chris Rice wrote:one which most club players are all too familiar with.
Reading up on what wiki has on the venue, after many years being used as part of a farm, it's now become a Community Centre for the local suburb. Is it a coincidence that it's very near the offices of the FFE?

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:02 am

Also not exactly Paris. The venue is as far from the centre of Paris as my home in Sevenoaks is from the centre of London. Allow an hour by taxi, or about 40 minutes from Orly airport.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm

The line up look good - should be an entertaining tournament.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Opening ceremony today, play starts tomorrow until 5 October
http://paris2013.fide.com/

Grischuk and Caruana both need outright first to get the Candidates qualification spot, failing which Mamedyarov gets it
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Hugely amusing 'opening ceremony' clip. Get a look before it disappears. What a shambles. The local village pumpkin competition would be better organised. I wonder who the officious clueless fat bloke is? An arbiter, I bet. And why not get everyone to block the camera? Now there's a novel thought.

Too funny. Too FIDE

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Opening ceremony today, play starts tomorrow until 5 October
http://paris2013.fide.com/
No mention of Agon on the website, but an obscure line up of sponsors.
There's a Russian industrial group, A Singapore oil consultancy and a Hedge Fund (although that's just my interpretation from a Google translate). The Hedge Fund has interests in an obscure Russian Republic, no prizes for guessing which one.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Roger >No mention of Agon on the website, but an obscure line up of sponsors.<

Agon's job is not to publicise themselves, but to publicise the sponsors.
Thus, for example pre 2004 'The Smith & Williamson British Chess Championships' makes no mention of the BCF in the title.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Agon's job is not to publicise themselves, but to publicise the sponsors.
Thus, for example pre 2004 'The Smith & Williamson British Chess Championships' makes no mention of the BCF in the title.
So what exactly are you implying? Is Agon, or is it not, to your knowledge involved in any sensible capacity with this Paris event? And second, are you, Stewart Reuben, acting in any sensible capacity as an agent (ie spokesman/spinner/advocate) of Agon or its interests?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:28 pm

David Robertson wrote:And second, are you, Stewart Reuben, acting in any sensible capacity as an agent (ie spokesman/spinner/advocate) of Agon or its interests?
If one thing is clear from posts made on this forum over the past few days it's that Andrew Paulson consulted Stewart Reuben sufficiently early.