Paris Grand Prix 2013

The very latest International round up of English news.
John McKenna

Re: Paris Grand Prix 2013

Post by John McKenna » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Paolo Casaschi (from page 1)>I really hope Caruana makes it. He improved a lot (both skills and rating) in the last year and he clearly has not reached his plateau yet.<

Well, Caruana is on the high road with 2/3, tucked in a half point behind Gelfand (see above) with Nakamura and Ivanchuk (hopefully recovered from his performance at the London GP "as Malvolio and Sir Toby Belch", as Andrew Paulson so vividly put it).
Meanwhile Grischuk, the only other hopeful for place in the next candidates via the GP, is taking the low road - in a group of five at the back on 1/3. Early days yet, though.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:26 am

David Robertson wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:I have no knowledge about Agon in Paris. I doubt Andrew Poulson is extensively involved there
Extensively? I doubt, from the evidence, that he is involved at all
Stewart Reuben wrote:(H)e is very busy with the World Championship. But there are employees of his company
These two sentences deserve closer inspection. The first is straightforward - if true. But with respect, I don't think it is true, nor can be true in any sensible manner.
It is true. Andrew Paulson is in India working with the WC organisers and sponsors as I write this.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:06 pm

If you say so. But 'working with' in what meaningful sense? From what is in the public domain, we have no evidence of any output. So is AGON actually doing anything? Is AGON anything more than Andrew Paulson? And does 'working with' have any more meaning than 'hanging around on the off-chance'? Just seeking a little transparency here.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:33 pm

David Robertson wrote: From what is in the public domain, we have no evidence of any output.
From this time last year
http://new.pentagram.com/2012/10/new-work-world-chess/

The actual branding of the Anand Carlsen match is FWCM, presumably FIDE World Championship Match.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... nched.html
in which
The World Chess Championship 2013, organized by FIDE and AICF, is sponsored by the Government of Tamil Nadu. Main partners of the most important chess event of 2013 are Hyatt Regency Chennai (hospitality partner), Delhi Chess Association (ticketing partner), and Chessdom.com (global news partner).

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Does AGON actually have a website? I couldn't find it with a google search. If not, it seems a bit surprising given that the nature of the business is about making some noise.

You might also expect the company website to answer some of David R's questions I suppose.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Yes, you might expect. But both Stewart Reuben & Sean Hewitt appear ready to speak for Andrew Paulson/AGON from time to time. They clearly have access to information not readily available to the rest of us. And one, possibly both, have been contracted to Andrew Paulson at some point, if I understand things correctly. So something is going on. And it isn't full disclosure.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:54 pm

David Robertson wrote:Yes, you might expect. But both Stewart Reuben & Sean Hewitt appear ready to speak for Andrew Paulson/AGON from time to time. They clearly have access to information not readily available to the rest of us. And one, possibly both, have been contracted to Andrew Paulson at some point, if I understand things correctly. So something is going on. And it isn't full disclosure.
I don't speak for Andrew Paulson. I was simply confirming something said by Stewart after you, armed with no information, merely conjecture, attempted to cast doubt on its veracity. Stewart was right. You were wrong. Get over it.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever for insinuating that I have ever been contracted to Andrew Paulson? No need to answer the question because of course you don't. You're just making it up.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Yes, you might expect. But both Stewart Reuben & Sean Hewitt appear ready to speak for Andrew Paulson/AGON from time to time. They clearly have access to information not readily available to the rest of us. And one, possibly both, have been contracted to Andrew Paulson at some point, if I understand things correctly. So something is going on. And it isn't full disclosure.
I don't speak for Andrew Paulson. I was simply confirming something said by Stewart after you, armed with no information, merely conjecture, attempted to cast doubt on its veracity. Stewart was right. You were wrong. Get over it.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever for insinuating that I have ever been contracted to Andrew Paulson? No need to answer the question because of course you don't. You're just making it up.
Both you and Stewart sought to help Professor Robertson by answering his questions.

You were promptly maligned for your pains. Well, well, well, what a surprise.

The moral seems pretty obvious to me.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:19 pm

PeterFarr wrote:Does AGON actually have a website?
There was a website that was going to carry the Candidates' tournament games. Then, just before kick-off, it redirected visitors to a FIDE page. Still does.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:25 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:

Both you and Stewart sought to help Professor Robertson by answering his questions.

You were promptly maligned for your pains. Well, well, well, what a surprise.

The moral seems pretty obvious to me.
Indeed.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Is there any chance we could limit this thread to the actual chess, and take the needless bickering on to another thread?

Gelfand drawn with black today, which is reasonable after his 97 move game yesterday - Tomashevsky has now drawn 4 games in 103 moves in total :roll:

Grischuk playing Caruana in the key game

http://paris2013.fide.com/en/component/ ... live-games
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Grischuk down to seconds with 6 moves to make. Caruana has a bit more than 2 mins. can't see him winng this unless on time or by a Grischuk blunder.

Edit: Grischuk made it to move 40 without blundering and may have a slim chance to win.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:39 pm

John McKenna wrote:Grischuk down to seconds with 6 moves to make. Caruana has a bit more than 2 mins. can't see him winng this unless on time or by a Grischuk blunder.

Edit: Grischuk made it to move 40 without blundering and may have a slim chance to win.
Interesting position

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Drawn

Ivanchuk won to join Gelfand on +2, with Nakamura and Caruana on +1

Grischuk on -1, even with 7 rounds to go that gives him a lot to do to win outright

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Good to see the older guys doing well. Hope Ivanchuk can keep it up.