Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Allegedly:
Violations of FIDE rules during the Women’s Grand Prix 2013-2014. The 6.4 paragraph has been constantly violated during the aforementioned competition.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:28 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Allegedly:
Violations of FIDE rules during the Women’s Grand Prix 2013-2014. The 6.4 paragraph has been constantly violated during the aforementioned competition.
I'm not saying she's wrong, but I don't remember anything about this. Examples would be nice.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:51 am

A great piece on Chess Drum regarding the disastrous African Congress that took place at Tromso complete with video footage.

http://www.thechessdrum.net/blog/2014/0 ... n-problem/

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:36 am

Chris Rice wrote:A great piece on Chess Drum regarding the disastrous African Congress that took place at Tromso complete with video footage.

http://www.thechessdrum.net/blog/2014/0 ... n-problem/
Yes, an unusually fair-minded piece on this issue, but I must take issue with one paragraph.

"Finally, there was the misstep by Nigel Freeman when he possibly influenced the voting for the Olympiad bidding for 2018. After giving a report on the result of his inspection, he stated affirmatively that while both Georgia and South Africa were capable holding a successful Olympiad tournament, Georgia “was the superior choice.”"

I was there, and I don't believe Freeman uttered the words in the quote. What I think he said was that, while there was no reason to doubt that South Africa would be ready by 2018, their bid document was far from complete. That was an understatement - it barely existed. They had decided which city would host the event only a couple of weeks before the Olympiad, and were the only bidder I can ever remember which did not have a stand at the tournament hall where you could ask questions and take away materials. The reason was that they didn't know the answers and had no materials.

Even so, most people who heard the words come out of his mouth wished they could be put back. Batumi was going to win anyway, since the shortcomings of the opposition's bid were very well known to delegates, and this just gave FIDE's critics one more thing to criticise. This does raise another question, though. If FIDE sends an inspection team to validate a bid and discovers that the details are at that time little more than a wish list, are they supposed to keep this information to themselves? If so, what was the point of going?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:11 pm

I didn't listen in but saw the link on Facebook: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04gn2h1

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Good fun :) No surprise for the BBC but it seems pretty reasonable. There's a (predictably!) fun exchange with Nigel in there.

Darko Polimac

Post by Darko Polimac » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:47 pm

The very strong letter from Mr.Vega to Fide reflection situation in Fide etc

http://www.fideamerica.com/index.php/no ... t-barbados

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Darko Polimac wrote:The very strong letter from Mr.Vega to Fide reflection situation in Fide etc

http://www.fideamerica.com/index.php/no ... t-barbados
So, Jorge Vega, FIDE Continental President for the Americas and previously a supporter of Ilyumzhinov, is concerned about FIDE's finances and isn't clear how Ilyumzhinov can stand for FIDE President in 2018 if the US Treasury sanction against him remains. And Vega wants FIDE to cancel its contract with AGON since, he says, AGON hasn't fulfilled its financial obligations.

Not sure, but should Darko's and this post go in a new thread as it's not strictly about the 2014 FIDE elections?