Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins

The very latest International round up of English news.

David Sedgwick

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Just before the Congress I heard a rumour that Ignatius Leong was about to "defect" and join the Kasparov camp.

This has now been confirmed.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:08 am

Conveniently in time for the ECF voting membership, limited as it is, to express a view. It's not an Agenda item but raising it in a discussion on the FIDE Delegate's report would seem appropriate.

It's alarming to see one of the major advocates of zero time defaults and other amateur hostile proposals on the Kasparov ticket.

(edit) Some items in the chessvibes report are equally alarming
http://www.chessvibes.com/breaking-kasp ... -president
A universal rating system will include every game of chess played on the planet, from world championship matches to online blitz. It will serve as the portal to unite tens of millions of players and will become an attractive advertising and sponsorship asset.
Particularly if you treat Blitz and Rapid-play essentially as training, there is no way you want that incorporated in your rating that's going to affect titles, pairings and prizes.

Collaborate with players and organizers on a common-sense implementation of the zero-tolerance rule that will preserve dignity and professionalism

What on earth does that mean? The only common-sense implementation is abolition except under extremely limited circumstances. (/edit)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:24 am

I thought this bit was more striking
Afrika Msimang of South Africa, who is the President of the Kasparov Chess Foundation Africa, made a strong impression with the start of her speech, directed at FIDE.

"Imagine for a moment... I think it was about four years ago, around this time, when Africa was promised to be the continent that would be given a chance to develop its chess program. Africa was promised that it would be given about 400,000 Euros annually for the next four years for chess development. The patient continent of Africa is still waiting for that promise to be fulfilled. "

The whole room was silent.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:34 am

Today's issue of Chess Today says that Garry Kasparov is seeking Latvian citizenship. It references a piece in The Guardian and goes on to state:
Chess Today wrote:The Russian political writer Andrey Piontkovsky has commented to Voice of America that Kasparov may need another citizenship to continue to travel freely, because there are simply no more free pages in his Russian (travel) passport, while Kasparov cannot return to Russia (in order to get a new passport) where he possibly can be arrested because of his anti-Putin political activities.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 am

Angus French wrote:Today's issue of Chess Today says that Garry Kasparov is seeking Latvian citizenship.
A passport from an EU state would give visa free access to many more countries than a Russian one.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:35 am

http://www.fide.com/fide/minutes/7537-8 ... nexes.html

I notice that the contentious Appendix to Annex 62, which was about combining OTB and online games in one list, cannot be downloaded. Puzzling.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:06 am

Mick Norris wrote:I thought this bit was more striking
Afrika Msimang of South Africa, who is the President of the Kasparov Chess Foundation Africa, made a strong impression with the start of her speech, directed at FIDE.

"Imagine for a moment... I think it was about four years ago, around this time, when Africa was promised to be the continent that would be given a chance to develop its chess program. Africa was promised that it would be given about 400,000 Euros annually for the next four years for chess development. The patient continent of Africa is still waiting for that promise to be fulfilled. "

The whole room was silent.

They got a big chunk of it, and much of the rest was diverted to defending unnecessary lawsuits. Please note that on that old story I am heartily critical of both sides, but it really is where the money went. The FIDE leadership still shows exactly the same disdain for its Statutes as it always has, so who knows whether more lawsuits may be on the way.

I don't recall the whole room going silent. Journalistic licence?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:59 pm

There's a strange and rambling speech by Kirsan at the start of the recent Congress where he appears to be saying that he will stand down if any rival candidate offers a large donation to one of FIDE's projects.

Western chess players suspect that his method of winning elections is always to have more money and patronage than the opposition, but really. FIDE should be in a position where its finances are strong enough that it doesn't need financial support from its own President.

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... inutes.pdf

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:31 pm

I think FIDE is in a position where its finances are strong enough that it doesn't need financial support from its own President ( barring ridiculous lawsuits ). Side projects such as Play Zone and Chess in Schools seem to have developed an independent life. I would add Agon, except it's not clear that has any life at all.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:11 pm

It is interesting that we have two Russian candidates for the Presidency of FIDE and neither is supported by the RCF. (It isn't necessary in the FIDE statutes.)

I think Kirsan played a masterly move, getting Ignatius Leong on the Kasparov ticket. That gives an excellent reason for voting for Kirsan.

I sometimes ask people, 'If you had the choice, who would you have as FIDE President?' I seldom get a coherent response. I thought Yasser Seirawan in 1996, but he gave me an unequivocal, NO.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:I think Kirsan played a masterly move, getting Ignatius Leong on the Kasparov ticket.
Co-opting the opposition, always a standard manoeuvre amongst homicidal kleptocrats and mafioisi.
Stewart Reuben wrote:That gives an excellent reason for voting for Kirsan.
No it doesn't. You still get the homicidal kleptocrat and his coterie of thugs and arrangers.
Stewart Reuben wrote:I sometimes ask people, 'If you had the choice, who would you have as FIDE President?' I seldom get a coherent response.
I would have thought the answer, "Anyone from the chess world not tainted by association with the homicidal kleptocrat," would have been clear enough.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Paul M >his coterie of thugs and arrangers<

I don't recognise your description of the various members of the PB as being thugs. Nor is Ignatius one by the way.
I don't know what you mean by 'arranger'. Isn't that what everybody who organises anything does?

>Anyone from the chess world not tainted by association with the homicidal kleptocrat," would have been clear enough.<
That certainly would give a wide choice. e.g., my guess is about 150,000 FIDE rated players. Why would the President have to be a chessplayer? Most would want to narrow down the list somewhat. But I can add you to the list of people giving an incoherent response.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: Why would the President have to be a chessplayer?
In the narrow sense of being someone who has played in a FIDE rated competition, Kirsan isn't either. That's a plausible hypothesis for his repeated determination to tamper adversely with the rules governing such events.