Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begins

The very latest International round up of English news.
Paolo Casaschi

Re: Kasparov vs Ilyumzhinov: the FIDE Presidency battle begi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Chris Rice wrote:This whole business with Lagno is quite disgraceful and shows that Putin completely controls Illyumzhinov now
Do not forget Kasparov is considered one of the key political adversaries of Putin in Russia.
This mix of FIDE politics and Russian politics is really concerning on so many levels.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Chris Rice wrote:I was looking back on AP's thread for the ECF Presidency back in 2013 and I found this AP quote on bribery:

(In response to Jonathan Rogers Sep 19 2013)

" 5) There is so little money involved in chess that I am always amused by the word 'bribery'; I'd call it more 'tips'. You recall when George Osborne was on the yacht of a Russian Oligarch Oleg Deripaska and it was reported that he was asking for £140k for the Tory Party? The response of the Russian press was that Deripaska would have been much more receptive if Osborne had been asking for £140m. But, no way around it, a whore is a whore at any price. How do you root out corruption in chess (I have heard about it, but never experienced it)? Its like training a dog: institutionalise the biscuit-giving and institute zero-tolerance."

So if after this AP was subject to attempted bribery while ECF President why was nothing said at the time?
"I have heard about it, but never experienced it" wrote Andrew Paulson, referring to corruption, on September 19 2013.

Which is funny, because in his interview with Chessdom he claimed that Danailov solicited an improper payment from him on June 26 of that same year.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:37 am

Some plot thickening has taken place with a number of cases going before the FIDE Electoral Commission with regard to who can legally vote in the Presidential election. All of the complaints filed on behalf of Mr. Ilyumzhinov were satisfied, while all of the complaints from Mr. Kasparov were denied.

http://www.chess.com/news/delegate-issu ... tions-6742

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:49 am

Chris Rice wrote:Some plot thickening has taken place with a number of cases going before the FIDE Electoral Commission with regard to who can legally vote in the Presidential election. All of the complaints filed on behalf of Mr. Ilyumzhinov were satisfied, while all of the complaints from Mr. Kasparov were denied.

I'm pleased to see that four members of the Electoral Commission are correctly refusing to discuss their meeting with the press, even if that does leave the field open for the fifth.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:51 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:Some plot thickening has taken place with a number of cases going before the FIDE Electoral Commission with regard to who can legally vote in the Presidential election. All of the complaints filed on behalf of Mr. Ilyumzhinov were satisfied, while all of the complaints from Mr. Kasparov were denied.

I'm pleased to see that four members of the Electoral Commission are correctly refusing to discuss their meeting with the press, even if that does leave the field open for the fifth.
Perhaps Mr. Korobeinik should have kept his mouth shut and followed the party line but don't you think his allegations of contradictions, inconsistencies and double standards in the judgements of the FIDE Electoral Commission warrant concern?

He wasn't ranting but cited specific examples to back up his allegations. He's clearly stated his neutrality, neither being pro-Kasparov or pro-Illyumzhinov and is just asking the question as to whether the other members of the Electoral Commission can say the same is he not? Who should he turn to, if not the media, if he feels aggrieved that there is clear bias in favour of Illyumzhinov? The person who these judgements benefit most, Illyumzhinov himself?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:49 am

The Presidential race has split the BCF straight down the middle, its a total shambles. Sorry meant to say that's the Botswana Chess Federation http://www.thevoicebw.com/2014/07/18/tr ... -paradise/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Chris Rice wrote: don't you think his allegations of contradictions, inconsistencies and double standards in the judgements of the FIDE Electoral Commission warrant concern?
Kasparov's lawyer makes similar points. You might expect that, but the judgements do seem to be fitted to a desired result. The general observation is that FIDE only really cared about how was the Federation and who was the Delegate if they remained silent or announced support for Kirsan. The hand waving about the Gabon is particularly noticeable. If FIDE have followed any sort of principles when confronted with rival organisations claiming legitimacy, it has been to support the one with the backing of the local Olympic Committee. That principle seems to have been abandoned.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaunpress

Post by shaunpress » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:08 pm

The Papua New Guinea Chess Federation was told by a couple of well placed FIDE people that our case was both 'non-controversial' and 'straight forward' (in that the properly elected Executive would surely be listed). The fact that it wasn't was both a surprise to us, and I suspect even to them. (NB No names unless they identify themselves).

Shaun Press
Secretary, Papua New Guinea Chess Federation

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Chris Rice wrote:The Presidential race has split the BCF straight down the middle, its a total shambles.
It's actually a "could have happened" to the ECF. You need a change or two, say at the October 2013 AGM, there are a couple more directors favouring AP and he retains the confidence of those who originally supported him. So AP has a Board majority in his favour. He then announces support for KI. Nigel protests and is dismissed. This has to be after the April 2014 meeting, so those with votes don't get a say. So that's a constitutional crisis as to whether the dismissal of the FIDE Delegate is legal (FIDE having changed the Delegate in the ECF material on their website) and also likely to lead to calls for an EGM from chess journalists and "disgusted of almost everywhere" who demand a reconsideration of the ECF Directors' position.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Back to the Presidential race and in a recent update Kasparov reckoned he was winning 15-8 in Asia with 25 of the 48 countries still to decide. Illyumzhinov looks to pretty much agree with him, at least in so far as the number of Asian votes Kasparov will get because he reckons he's going to take every single one of those 25 undecided Asian nations. Illyumzhinov already reckons he's got 90 national federations to vote for him which, if true, will be a crushing victory. Here's the article in full which includes a vicious stab at Leong...

"Only a few weeks remain before the FIDE Presidential elections on August 11. It is now obvious that Garry Kasparov’s campaign based on marketing tricks and misinforming national federations is clearly falling apart.

Over 90 national federations have sent their letters of support to Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, although the 13th world champion attempted to present some of these federations as supporting himself!

The latest example of this misrepresentation is the national chess federation of Indonesia which has clarified in a formal statement that it supports Kirsan Ilyumzhinov and not Garry Kasparov. It is by now obvious that the so-called “supporter lists,” published by Kasparov, were only a marketing trick to keep pumping his troubled campaign bubble. In Asia specifically, Kasparov will not get more than 11-14 votes out of 48 votes in total. This is just enough for Ignatius Leong to claim his money (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/22/sport ... .html?_r=0 -The New York Times), according to the contract he signed with Garry!

Attached is the letter of mandate from the Indonesian Chess Federation that authorizes the federation’s delegate to attend and vote at the FIDE Congress in Tromso.

Thank you, Indonesia!
We are one family. Gens Una Sumus!"

I, the undersigned, Mr. Hashim Djojohadikusumo, the current president of the Indonesian Chess Federation (PERCASI), give mandate to:

Name: Mrs. Dwi Hatmisari Amarukmi
Position: FIDE Delegate of Indonesian Chess Federation

To follow the 85th FIDE Congress and General Assembly in Tromso, Norway, on 4 to 14 August 2014, and Indonesia Chess Federation (PERCASI) also support and give a vote to Mr. Kirsan Ilyumzhinov as the FIDE President for 2014 – 2018.

Thus this mandate letter was created to be used properly.

Jakarta, Indonesia, July 17, 2014
Indonesian Chess Federation

(signed, sealed)

Hashim Djojohadikusumo
President

Original of the letter http://ru.scribd.com/doc/235002147/Lett ... nned-1-pdf

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:53 am

Think we might have hit a new low as Kasparov photoshops Illyumzhinov's T-shirt

http://kasparov2014.com/2014/07/25/kirs ... derations/

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:55 am

Chris Rice wrote:Think we might have hit a new low as Kasparov photoshops Illyumzhinov's T-shirt
I shall be very happy if it gets no lower than this.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:51 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:Think we might have hit a new low as Kasparov photoshops Illyumzhinov's T-shirt
I shall be very happy if it gets no lower than this.
Is it a low? As far as Russian politics go, I am impressed. Yes, I'm afraid that it has gone that way, particularly with Putin's involvement.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:46 pm

It's been enlightening to me at least just how biased commentators are on this election. Kevin Spragget's comments today were a tirade of abuse against Kasparov with an article entitled Kasparov Campaign on Death-Bed? It ends with...

"Today many inside the chess community view Kasparov as a scary extreme-rightwing fanatic, a shameless opportunist and especially as an anachronism from the Cold War, not capable of seeing things in any colours other than the Black and White of the Cold War days. On top of this, Kasparov runs the risk of losing support as each day passes…Kasparov’s campaign failure will likely be recorded as a historic defeat. While Kirsan has good reasons to smile, many of Kirsan’s votes will be anti-Kasparov votes."

http://kevinspraggettonchess.wordpress. ... death-bed/

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Although I believe Spraggett has in fact advocated a vote for Kasparov, so he's not quite that biased.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com