Irish Championship 2013 - Colm Daly 6 times Champ

The very latest International round up of English news.
John McKenna

Irish Championship 2013 - Colm Daly 6 times Champ

Post by John McKenna » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Today, in his times chess column, RDK has come with one of his rare up-to-date reports (they are often historical). I was pleasantly surprised to see that he covers the Irish Chess Championship and gives a game - against Mark Orr - by the winner, Colm Daly. Colm, a very good bloke, is champion for the 6th time in this the ICU's centenary.
Last edited by John McKenna on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul McKeown

Re: Irish Championship 2103 - Colm Daly 6 times Champ

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:43 pm

John McKenna wrote:Colm Daly [... snip...] a very good bloke
There are many that hold a different view. The rights and wrongs are mostly ancient history, as usual, though, and I wouldn't care to judge. That having been said, congratulations are due to Colm D., a fine achievement indeed. Also to Ray Keene, a good column today it appears.

John McKenna

Re: Irish Championship 2013 - Colm Daly 6 times Champ

Post by John McKenna » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Paul is right to pull me up.

What I should have written was - Colm, a very good bloke when I met him many years ago...
Whether he really is good or not, he must be not bad at chess.

A visiting GM once told me that he believed anyone who plays chess is 'good'. I would not go that far. However, for some it is easy to divide the people of the world into 'good' and 'bad' based on simple criteria.
Elsewhere on the forum figures have been bandied about, like - roughly 6 million 'good' people in England and 600+ million in the world. They are minorities and most of them only just a little bit 'good'.

As for me, even when I am any 'good' I am not much 'good' and when I am bad...(Let's no go there.)
Last edited by John McKenna on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

John McKenna

Re: Irish Championship 2013 - Colm Daly 6 times Champ

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:09 pm

For anyone who might be interested -

Profile Colm Daly