Anand v Carlsen

The very latest International round up of English news.
John Cox

Re: Anand v Carlsen

Post by John Cox » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Ah, well. Wrong again, by the look of it.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Really interesting ending now (move 57) with Q + 3P v Q + N

Probably should be drawn

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm guessing that drawing this ending requires Anand to manage to give up the Knight for both of the b- and c-pawns?
Last edited by AustinElliott on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Without wanting to distract from the chess...

Carlsen just played a8=Q, or rather he put the WQ on a8 and removed the pawn from a7, and presumably wrote down a8=Q. That struck me a bit like moving the rook first when castling. Sadly, Vishy did exactly the same when he queened his f pawn.

I'll get my coat....

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:Really interesting ending now (move 57) with Q + 3P v Q + N

Probably should be drawn
Stockfish at chessbomb seems to think so, but you might suspect that Carlsen will find ways of making progress. In Anand's favour, he has more time available. Move 60 is the last addition of a block of time, with the increment clicking in at move 61. It wouldn't be pleasant to have to defend using only the increments.

AustinElliot wrote: I'm guessing that drawing this ending requires Anand to manage to give up the Knight for both of the b- and c -pawns?
Forcing a repetition seems most likely. That or running Carlsen right out of time except for the increment.
Simon Brown wrote: Carlsen just played a8=Q, or rather he put the WQ on a8 and removed the pawn from a7, and presumably wrote down a8=Q.
I'm not sure how many hours FIDE or its committee deliberated on it, but in changes to the Laws of Chess for July 2014, the description of promotion has been reworded to clarify that this is explicitly permitted.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Without wanting to distract from the chess...

Carlsen just played a8=Q, or rather he put the WQ on a8 and removed the pawn from a7, and presumably wrote down a8=Q. That struck me a bit like moving the rook first when castling. Sadly, Vishy did exactly the same when he queened his f pawn.

I'll get my coat....
In similar mode - did they agree a draw or was the arbiter duty bound to declare it as soon as Anand played ...Nxc5 ?

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:19 pm

So in the end it's a hard fought draw and Carlsen claims the title, many congratulations to him! :D

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:34 pm

[quote="Roger de Coverly]

I'm not sure how many hours FIDE or its committee deliberated on it, but in changes to the Laws of Chess for July 2014, the description of promotion has been reworded to clarify that this is explicitly permitted.[/quote]

Thanks Roger, I can sleep more easily now. I just imagined an arbiter leaping in and awarding the game to Vishy......

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:In similar mode - did they agree a draw or was the arbiter duty bound to declare it as soon as Anand played ...Nxc5 ?
Draw by insufficient material is automatic. No need for agreement or declaration.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:07 pm

I loved the bit right at the very end of the commentary where Tania Sachdev says to Lawrence Trent "You should wave", haha. I thought the whole commentary team were brilliant:

GM Susan Polgar, Olympiad and World Champion;
IM Lawrence Trent, a fantastic player, trainer, and premier commentator;
IM Tania Sachdev, former Asian Champion;
GM Ramesh RB, a Chennai native, and former British and Commonwealth Champion.

I wish I could watch the whole tournament with full commentary, but it would require a holiday :(

What's the next big thing that they will commentate on? I can't wait...
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Agreed

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:27 pm

I wonder if Carlsen ever had a serious winning chance in that - what do the computers think?

Anyhow - the King is dead, long live the King 8)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:I wonder if Carlsen ever had a serious winning chance in that - what do the computers think?
Back at move 30, exd6 gave away at least a pawn's worth of advantage according to the engines. Similarly Anand's moving the queen away from e5, allowing the pawn to advance had also been an error.

Towards the end of the game, there were other ways to sacrifice the Knight to pick up the b7 pawn. The reliability and safety of long complex lines involving sacrifices and pawn promotions is never very clear.

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:I wonder if Carlsen ever had a serious winning chance in that - what do the computers think?

Anyhow - the King is dead, long live the King 8)
Chessbase think he was winning with 43(?) Nd2 instead of Nd6.